Best saw for under 500 bucks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
With $500 in hand, wanting a firewood saw to use from stump to twig, and the need to hook a 24 inch bar for an occaisional large tree bucking, what saw is it you want to hear, or, I mean "have"? If your smiling at the joke, your taste in music is excellent.

Free Bird!

Find yourself a lightly used Stihl 361 and call it a day....

I usually run an 18" on mine....its like a hot knife in butter. For the larger stuff, I use the 25" bar and it still cuts pretty damn good.

With proper care, this will be the last saw I buy...

What saw should you get for under $500? The best Stihl you can find for $499.

New? That might be the Makita 6401 (Dolmar 6400). Baileys was selling them for $472 & free shipping at the end 2010. You can later upgrade the P&C to make it a 79 or 84cc monster.

Used? I like the idea of a used MS361, too. A used 6401 from a Home Depot rental store is also good buy if you can run into one.

$400 CL special...bit big for twigs though.

Attachments

• 2095 60 inch bar.jpg
    2095 60 inch bar.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 506
If your buying new, 359/2159 if you have to be able to run a 24". The 346XP is probably the best choice in my opinion, but a 20" is realistically the max.

Used, you can find a real nice 372XP, 2171, 044/046/044/440

I can get a 346 new with 20 inch for 469 at my door, and a 359 for 495 at the door. Leaning toward the 359 due to horsepower and oiler volume. Oiler can put 15 max vs the 346 putting 10 max onto the bar.

TreePointer said:
New? That might be the Makita 6401 (Dolmar 6400). Baileys was selling them for $472 & free shipping at the end 2010. You can later upgrade the P&C to make it a 79 or 84cc monster.

Used? I like the idea of a used MS361, too. A used 6401 from a Home Depot rental store is also good buy if you can run into one.

472.00 a good deal. Like the fact they have opitions down the road as well. Just not sold on the kits yet?

The price has jumped $100 for the new 6401 model that's EPA compliant.

Jay, the 79cc kit is Mahle....... the 84cc is the chicom

HittinSteel said:

I think the dolmar priceing is very close to stihl, but on sale at baileys for 479.00 shipped is very good..

smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:

I think the dolmar priceing is very close to stihl, but on sale at baileys for 479.00 shipped is very good..

Toolking has refurb'd 6401s for $349 or $379, I cant remember which price (I was in the retail store last week) but its pretty darn good for a saw that is basically brand new.

I dunno why none of the Stihl-Heads have chimed in, but I'll fill in for them by pointing out that an MS391 is just over $500 and will pull an 24" no prob. If you need a "bigger wood" saw, that'd fit the bill.

There have been several votes for a Stihl saw.

I went with the Dolmar 5100 and then the Dolmar/Makita 6401 for bucking bigger stuff. The 5100 would do fine on a one saw plan.

[quote author="Kenster" date="1299228941"]There have been several votes for a Stihl saw.[/quote
+1 I am all Stihl, but no issues about other saws. 64cc at the price of 327.00 refurb. I would Pop if I needed a saw.

I have the Stihl MS311. I think it was around $500, but I don't recall the exact figure. Don't have anything else to compare it to, but it's been great so far. I really like the anti-vibration feature.

Well after messing with a very large tree this morning, I made the choice and ordered a 359 with 20 inch bar, spare chain, 24 inch bar and chain and I am done thinking about this deal. I lost alot of critical time trying to cut a big oak with a small saw this morning as the soil thawed and ended my excursion. It was 495 at Alamia out of Colorado. Can't wait to see what a real saw does in the big Red Oak.

mywaynow said:
Well after messing with a very large tree this morning, I made the choice and ordered a 359 with 20 inch bar, spare chain, 24 inch bar and chain and I am done thinking about this deal. I lost alot of critical time trying to cut a big oak with a small saw this morning as the soil thawed and ended my excursion. It was 495 at Alamia out of Colorado. Can't wait to see what a real saw does in the big Red Oak.

Even a great saw can be trying in red oak!

smokinjay said:

Right on. Honey Locust or Shagbark/Shellbark even tougher.I havent cut much Osage/Hedge,need to talk to older cousin in NW MO & see about making a deal,he's got 2000' at least in 3 huge old hedgerows.Some of those old monsters are easily 50' tall.Not sure if its worth 6hrs round trip or the wear on my equipment & ol' body though... ;-P Not to mention gas at $3.40/gallon.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

Right on. Honey Locust or Shagbark/Shellbark even tougher.I havent cut much Osage/Hedge,need to talk to older cousin in NW MO & see about making a deal,he's got 2000' at least in 3 huge old hedgerows.Some of those old monsters are easily 50' tall.Not sure if its worth 6hrs round trip or the wear on my equipment & ol' body though... ;-P Not to mention gas at $3.40/gallon.

No it would not, but a nice pick-up load stashed sometimes is just what you need to have a fighting chance over old mother nature! Few storms this year I wish there was a stash of it and Lee reminded me about milling junk. Went with OLD HICKORY FOR THE WIN! Hedge is still better.

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

No it would not, but a nice pick-up load stashed sometimes is just what you need to have a fighting chance over old mother nature! Few storms this year I wish there was a stash of it and Lee reminded me about milling junk. Went with OLD HICKORY FOR THE WIN! Hedge is still better.

Totally. The densest wood in temperate North America.

Status
Not open for further replies.