Best scrounge in a long time....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mking7

Burning Hunk
Jan 26, 2011
West, TX
I normally check craigslist daily looking for decent scrounges and my friends know I cut wood so they let me know if they find something. Most of the time the ads for free firewood turn out to be not worth even going to look at. This week I was on craigslist and saw an ad that was just down the road from my buddy's house so I stopped by on my way home. Nice big oak and lots of it. Straight too. Usually the stuff I get has a 90 degree bend every 10 inches making for ugly wood. Been doing a little the last few nights. Going tonight to load the rest I hope (lined up some help).

The best part? The neighbor came out and said, "you need wood?"....I said, yes sir. He gave me a huge pile that was all oak and ash already bucked up. It's a little shorter than I'd have cut it but it's free and it's cut. Finally a good scrounge!

I'm not normally a picture taker but I took this to send to someone last night. This is just the a fraction of what I've bucked up but I can't back my trailer to the wood and got tired of toting them out by hand so I stopped till I could get back there with a wheel barrow and a helper or two.

firewood-1.jpg

Sweet . . . cannot beat oak . . . especially if it's free.

very nice...how much can you get on a trailer load?

very nice...how much can you get on a trailer load?

Couple cords give or take a little depending on how well it stacks in. That's my big trailer, 20ft 14,000lb.

Reactions: ScotO
Great scrounge. I like the smaller rounds...easier to handle, and no need to go vertical and wrestle with big stuff.....although I'm sure you got bigger stuff there...it's all good

Great scrounge. I like the smaller rounds...easier to handle, and no need to go vertical and wrestle with big stuff.....although I'm sure you got bigger stuff there...it's all good

Ya, I left the bigger stuff till I could get a helper and wheel barrow or something. But nothing huge. I'd say the biggest stuff is 30" and there's not a ton of that. A bunch of 16" type stuff. Which I like. But then again, I like anything I can get pretty much. :)

That be some very strange looking oak. Great score!

Nice score mking, is that red some marks you put on the wood to cut it?

You had to throw in the part about the neighbor with the stacked Oak and Ash! I was waiting to hear that he had a cute scantily clad daughter that offered to help you load it! Awesome scrounge man!

Reactions: osagebow
That is one of those oddball oaks that grow in West Texas but not here in PA. That is a nice big load of oak.

A "double dip" scrounge.
Nice score.

That is one of those oddball oaks that grow in West Texas but not here in PA. That is a nice big load of oak.

I agree. Lots of strange things in Texas.

Well, I got the rest loaded Friday night. For the mild winters we have here compared most of you guys this represents a good bit of my 2013 wood. Now I can fire up the splitter for some fun. Btw, that oak isn't from west Texas, it's from West, TX.... :)

wood1_zps4e723a05.jpg

wood2_zpsa8eed4de.jpg

I am loving that trailer, That is sweet!!!

Reactions: Cross Cut Saw
That definitely is a nice trailer.

Killer scrounge - congrats!

That first pic had a couple leaves and along with the bark that very well could be post oak.

i might say...among the best scrounges ANYWHERE

beautiful roof on your house

That first pic had a couple leaves and along with the bark that very well could be post oak.
If so, that is a super hard BTU-rich wood. Great score and beautiful trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.