Best sealer for a red pine log home?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
Looking for the longest lasting best looking finish for my 20 something yr old red pine logs.. Prefer cedar look....

Ray

I've had good luck with Behr products. Availability is good, price is competitive, and it's a pretty good product. They come in three consistencies...transparent, semi-transparent, and opaque. Transparent won't last worth a damn. Opaque is like paint, covers everything so you see no grain...might as well just use paint. Semi-transparent gives a nice tint and good protection while allowing some of the grain to show through. Should last anywhere from 2-5 years, depending on exposure to the elements. I'll attach pics of a little weekend place in Virginia I refinished. I'll try to attach three pics of the west end of this place...pressure-washing what I started with, then applying the stain, then done. This particular color was called "Cedar Naturaltone", as I recall. That building was sided in cedar, but I've used the same stuff on SPF and even PT wood with satisfactory results. Rick

Attachments

• washing.jpg
    washing.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 409
  • staining.jpg
    staining.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 526
  • done.jpg
    done.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 387
fossil said:
I've had good luck with Behr products. Availability is good, price is competitive, and it's a pretty good product. They come in three consistencies...transparent, semi-transparent, and opaque. Transparent won't last worth a damn. Opaque is like paint, covers everything so you see no grain...might as well just use paint. Semi-transparent gives a nice tint and good protection while allowing some of the grain to show through. Should last anywhere from 2-5 years, depending on exposure to the elements. I'll attach pics of a little weekend place in Virginia I refinished. I'll try to attach three pics of the west end of this place...pressure-washing what I started with, then applying the stain, then done. This particular color was called "Cedar Naturaltone", as I recall. That building was sided in cedar, but I've used the same stuff on SPF and even PT wood with satisfactory results. Rick

Rick thanx for your reply.. I am pretty sure I used the Behr product you described in your post last time and it has gone to hell.. I am considering an opaque finish this time as it is more durable and believe it or not my logs after 22 yrs. are still bleeding sap!! I started out with CWF way back and that was not very durable and I am not getting any younger so durability is a getting to be more of a factor now... If was to do it over again I would not build a log home especially not a pine log home... Live and learn I guess.. Thanx for the feedback!

Ray

I used Cabot opaque stain on a deck that gets a good amount of weather. It goes on like paint, but a deck gets abuse from sun, rain, sand and my work boots. I'm happy with it. I've never used it on a wall though.

Matt

I like Cabot products. I used to run a Neighborhood hardware store, and I know that they have a very good reputation in the industry.

-SF

Make sure you check out Sikkens stains. It lasts a long time. I used it on my redwood sided home. Its pricey but it is worth it. Do a search. You can try www.epaintstore.com for online sales. $50-$70 bucks a gallon........ouch!

Mike

Cabot's good stuff. (And they know it...$$$!). I used it on a bunch of decks/railings/gazebo behind my residence in northern Virginia. Oil-based, so you have to take that into account. I both sprayed and brushed it. The Behr stuff I used out on the weekend place is water clean-up, which I found very convenient. I've since used it here in Oregon in both a sprayer and by brush. In any case, I think unless you just go the opaque (paint) route, the surfaces that art exposed to a lot of wear and/or weather are just gonna need to be refinished every so often, no matter what you put on there. Rick

Sikkens...oh yes, I looked at Sikkens just long enough to get down to the price. Rick

woodsman23 said:
Sickens once every ten years!!! worth every penny.

I have actually gone a lot longer on the shaded sides of my house. The sun blasted sides could use UV treatment 5-10 years. I really don't think there is an equal to the Sikkens stains. The last time I bought mine is was just over $40/gal.

Mike

If I coughed up the cash for the expensive stuff I'd probably get run over by a bus next week. If I buy the cheap stuff I'll live 40 more years so I can re-apply it every other year.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.