Best single hydronic reference book

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveBP

Minister of Fire
May 25, 2008
SW Maine
I have a question for you pros. What single reference book (preferably still in print) would you have if you were only allowed one single volume to design and build the systems you install. Not just hydronic theory; that probably becomes intuitive after years in the business; but all those day-to-day details that nobody can remember all of. You know, head losses through different pipe sizes and fittings, GPM to ft./sec conversions and so on. And since, inevitably, no one book can do it all, what 2 books would you need to keep yourself confident when you need to come up with a number for comparing two different system options. I consider books to be tools and don't need much of an excuse to buy another tool. Price isn't even an issue here but avoiding a lot of library duplication. Simple title and author would suffice. I think a lot of the readers of this forum would be interested to see if a concensus forms around a few good books.

My top 3.

Modern Hydronic Heating by John Sigenthaler P.E. Pumping Away and Primary Secondary Made Easy by Dan Holohan

Actually www.pmmag.com has about 10 years worth of monthly articles archived by John. Very generous of him.

B&G;has a free download "System Sizer" for a lot of calcs. Google just about any conversion table these days. Virtually all the component manufacturers have tech data at their websites. Taco pump has some great tech data. Most all boiler manufacturers will post data for their products.

hr

Attachments

• MVC-032F.JPG
    MVC-032F.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 584
tekmar has great resources. They have essays on topic such as how to size a circulator (so does Taco). Tekmar has many many schematics as well.

master of sparks said:
My top 3.

Modern Hydronic Heating by John Sigenthaler P.E. Pumping Away and Primary Secondary Made Easy by Dan Holohan

Actually www.pmmag.com has about 10 years worth of monthly articles archived by John. Very generous of him.

B&G;has a free download "System Sizer" for a lot of calcs. Google just about any conversion table these days. Virtually all the component manufacturers have tech data at their websites. Taco pump has some great tech data. Most all boiler manufacturers will post data for their products.

hr

Ditto!

I agree 100% with HotRod on the books.

Circ and tubing manufacturers have a wealth of info available, much of it on-line. Grundfos, B&G;, Taco, Wilo and Armstrong all have a wealth of info on their websites and most have design type CD's/DVD's available last I checked. If you want to really get into it, get in touch with Siggy at Appropriate Designs and buy his design and cad software. If this country had more people that understood hydronic piping and how simple it is once you get the fundamentals, we'd see a lot more of it installed and a lot of happy comfortable people. Done wrong it can be a giant pain in the rear.

Do you homework now boys and girls ;)

Thanks for your replies. It never ceases to make me smile to see so many busy people share their experience and expertise with those of us whose greatest asset is enthusiasm. Sounds like Mr. Siegenthaler gets the nod here and other places I follow. I'll start with the book you all seem to consider the top and choose additional references after I have absorbed the basics there. Again, thanks.

I managed to borrow Siegenthaler's book, because it doesn't come cheap to buy, and I wanted to see if it was worth it before buying, but I have to say I am impressed even (way!) beyond expectations at the way he conveys both underlying theory/data and application- and I am a tough critic on books and references. Now I am in the midst of trying to absorb it all before I have to return it or buy it. But I would say it's a _very_ worth it to buy "tool" if you're contemplating any significant hydronic DIY project

pybyr said:
I managed to borrow Siegenthaler's book, because it doesn't come cheap to buy, and I wanted to see if it was worth it before buying, but I have to say I am impressed even (way!) beyond expectations at the way he conveys both underlying theory/data and application- and I am a tough critic on books and references. Now I am in the midst of trying to absorb it all before I have to return it or buy it. But I would say it's a _very_ worth it to buy "tool" if you're contemplating any significant hydronic DIY project

I have to say that the investment required to own that book is far far less than the repair bills generated by doing it wrong. I've helped people out with that dozens of times.........but hey, that's how I make my living........what am I saying!!!!!

On second thought, if you live in northern lower Michigan, DON'T BUY THAT BOOK!! I'LL BE UNEMPLOYED!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.