Best Source for Bar & Chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TreePointer, thanks so much for the tip on the Stihl RS chain. I've never had a chain cut like that. It was actually so aggressive that I had to go 'gentle' on the saw because the saw could not keep up with the chain. I've honestly never had that problem with the Husqvarna 346xp. Any thoughts on how to modify the 346xp for more horsepower?

Yes, just one. Don't do it. If you want more saw get a bigger saw. Like a 357XP. Or 372XP.

Reactions: TreePointer
I haven't modified mine yet mainly because it's already a great saw in stock form. They have a reputation for respondiung well to muffler mods if you swap in an unlimited coil. Porting is a bit more involved, but you can send it to someone for that. If you don't mod, a sharp chain and a proper tuning go a long way (as with all saws).

ge
I have a Husqvarna 346xp. I currently have a 18" bar on it (that it came with). Husqvarna says that I can put a 20" on it which I am planning on doing. I just picked up a bar & chain at Home Depot that was supposed to fit it and....it does not fit! Does anyone have a source for a good and inexpensive bar & chain?

Thanks for your help!
get the oregon catalog out in hand or on screen on most saws i use stihl rsf or rslf chain on an oregon solid bar with repl roller nose PRO bar no laminated shiet .. home depots are not the place to be buying real stuff if you buy real stuff you'll do it way less often also maybe put a rim sprocket in er to.. out with the junk..

Reactions: albert1029
Try this www.madsens1.com

Not sure what you mean by "inexpensive," but I only buy Stihl chains and those are pretty much the same price everywhere. If you don't mind using Oregon or Carlton or Windsor or whatever then it should be inexpensive anywhere you get it (compared to Stihl chains).
Uhh Sandvik makes some damn fine chain period its the cutter shape primarly that is of intrest i use square ground chain and do not machine grind out the square cutters you two step file them.. i too like stihl rsf rslf pro yellow chain or its cutters but others like sanvik make Sq ground cutters too..

Yellow label square ground is way to go no matter who makes or assembles it.. the highest kickback capable chains what i desire . those depth gauged chains aint worth a fek.. not even for the girls.. we need to feel the saw pushing back to us ..

Square chain is great, but I'd advise folks to stay away from square ground until they get a good feel for sharpening round ground chain. Stihl RS is pretty darn good.

stihl rs is very good no doubt about it.. i just like the square ground its a personal thing like an 056 saw .. or solid bar Vs a laminated jobbie.. I did opposite I started out with sq gnd chain first no depth gauging etc just cutters and drive links wether skipped or not .nothing between me n wood cept chrome cutters, simple actually .

Status
Not open for further replies.