Best splitting Axe - plan to use for years 5+ cord a year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimxj2000

Aug 14, 2008
SE NH
Ok, I know this has been beat around before, but if price isn't an option what is the best splitting axe.

I used a Lowe's 4.5 lb axe with the wide tabs and fiberglass handle for a year and that is as long as it lasts. The head pulls off, glass fibers break etc.

So which is the best axe for years of use and several cord per years.

What I have on the list is the Fiskars super splitting axe - looks like a slightly better version of what I used for the last year or the Gransfors Bruks large splitting axe ( http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/browse.cfm/4,756.html ). The Gransfors has a 20 year guarantee which makes the price a bit better.

Any thoughts? I am open to other ideas.

I want something that will works well - I try to do all the splitting over the winter with the wood frozen (hour a day, a few days a week) if that makes a difference.

My neighbor has a splitter so I only split the easy stuff and save the last 10% for wedges or the splitter so I don't need an axe that will go through everything.

Thanks.

Jim...I've had my Stihl 6 pound maul for three years. Now I don't use that solely for my splitting. I've used other methods. But IMO, if you are on the mark with your striking, there is no reason for it to fall apart. My Stihl is in very good working condition. No signs of being tired. Slight blemishes on the hickory handle when I miss the wood or what have you. I also use the blount squared edge. The other side as a sledge. That works well too. No issues with that. If you use it properly, it should last you a while. (I'm not implying that you used yours wrong)

Fiskars has a lifetime guarantee and is highly recommended by many on here and including myself.

Bigg_Redd said:
Fiskars Super Splitter or Pro Splitter. The end.

+1

Jim...I stand corrected. My Stihl splitting mauls handle is slowing splitting along the grain of the wood. I didn't impact with anything. It just is getting tired. I'm actually disappointed with it. The hickory handle is just breaking apart.

Chopper 1 or LeChopper. Same but old vs new. Got it in 82 and it still splits today!

I think fairly highly of the Fiskars products. Rick

Attachments

• fiskars.jpg
    fiskars.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 796
I've been swinging a no name 8lb , fiberglass handle maul through 3-4 cords/year for 10 years now.

Maul shows no signs of giving up, but could be replaced for <$35 if necessary.

Concentrate on your stroke - the wood don't know the difference.

gerry100 said:
I've been swinging a no name 8lb , fiberglass handle maul through 3-4 cords/year for 10 years now.

+1 (except mine is 6lb and 30 years, handle replaced once 25 years ago)

gerry100 said:

+2, and I cant complain one bit.

The last generic maul I bought is holding up really well. I bought it 20 years ago and it has leaned against the hydraulic splitter through a 100+ cords. Looks like it could do it for another hundred if the handle doesn't rot out.

Bigg_Redd said:
Fiskars Super Splitter or Pro Splitter. The end.

+3

gerry100 said:

I've split dozens and dozens of cords using the same maul. Had I never tried out my Fiskars Pro Splitting Ax (which I bought on a larf simply because I wanted a small ax) on big rounds a year and a half ago I would agree completely.

Best splitting axe is a hydraulic wood splitter. I split 5-10 cords/year for many years with my maul. Yesterday I visited the doctor due to shoulder pain and found out I have a worn out shoulder joint. Spend a few $100 and save your body for a happier future.

gerry100 said:

Same here......and for about the same amount of time.
Got it at a local Ace Hardware Store as a gift from my In-Law.
Probably the nicest thing he did for me, which doesn't say much.........

jebatty said:
Yesterday I visited the doctor due to shoulder pain and found out I have a worn out shoulder joint.
Wood handles always hurt my shoulders/arms/neck. The fiberglass core/plastic handles are much easier on me, for some reason. Maybe they absorb some of the shock so my old body doesn't have too?

I used to help an old uncle that owned a hydraulic log splitter. He would set on a milk crate, smoking a cigar, and run the lever up and down while I did all the rest (he even mounted an umbrella on it so he could stay dry in the rain while "WE" split wood). I can tell you I will never own one (never say never, but....). It always just about killed me. My knees, back, shoulders, fingers when unky got trigger happy with the lever, headache from the exhaust blowing in my face, couldn't hear the birds singing like I can when using my maul, not to mention it's one more thing to put gas in and drag around,.........yuck. Nothing against those that use them, to each his own, just not for me.

Thanks for the input. I went with the Fiskars Super Splitter and Pro Splitter - the 4.5lb and the 2 lb. I like the 4.5. My wife did not like that one - a bit too heavy.

I tried the 8 lb maul and it seemed to heavy for long use. I was having good luck with splitting with the 4.5 axe from Lowe's (until the head came off the handle) so this should work at least the same and probably better.

Thanks for the input - I'll let you know how they work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.