Best splitting maul?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lignums said:
And no that design does not have that ridge in it from either the ax handle or the crap ergonomic handle from either Lowes, Home Dumpo, or Meijer, all the same. Maybe that is why Wal-Mart had only the one left because it was a turd.

Good - I'll keep my eyes open for one. Makes me scared to buy it on-line, though.

Any time dude, happy splittin'

I got the red-handled one from Walmart a couple years ago and like it alot, no problems with the handle.

My maul of choice is a Sotz maul with overall length 33" made in the 80's which isn't produced anymore (as previously noted). I've ordained two other woodburners to believers after using my maul so they got the next best thing... a 15# maul with a slight shorter handle (30"overall?) that can still be had via Northern Tool. If the Sotz won't crack a big round that's spongy or dense then it's time to bring out the sledge and wedges. Once halved, most will crack under the Sotz. It helps to persuade the wood with gentle mutterings that it doesn't stand a chance.. eventually it WILL fold, so might as well give in...

I use my Fiskar's splitting axe for most of my splitting, and for the tough pieces with gnarly knots, I use a sledge hammer and wood grenade. It's an amazingly quick process when you the knack of it.

One thing that I've noticed is that many beginners try to split down the center of a large round, and that can be a slow, ugly process. Instead, working slats off of the outside of a large round is quick and productive. Furthermore, the resulting pieces are smaller, so they dry quicker and are easier for everyone in the family to handle.

I got my new Super splitter axe from Fiskars last friday. I used it today and it is a dream. The 4.25# head is really nice, the shape perfect and it works well. I split about 40 rounds of some hardwood (ash?), with perfectly straight grain. I loved it. Every wack was another round in half. Never had better wood to split.

It is better than the other Fiskars I have (the pro splitter) which has a 2.25# head. It is too light to split the big rounds. But nice for kindling.

Carpniels

nofossil said:
I'm with you on weight, though. I prefer speed and control to brute force. I take some pride in being able to hit the same spot repeatedly.

practice is all it takes, even with a "monster". i can repeatedly, if necessary, hit the same spot. less effort, slower stroke, same result. the trick for me was switching my hands. for the first 25 years of splitting, i had my left hand below my right hand, just like a baseball batter (righthanded). two years ago, with a hand injury, i was forced to reverse the grip, and place my right hand lower than my left. ta-da! i suddenly had much greater precision with where the maul struck the wood, and could rehit that initial spot. wood splitting has been easier, and more precicse, the last two seasons. all because of a hand laceration.

wally

I with you when I start off and I know it wont take much to split it I will do it left handed if after one or two hits it stubborn I switch to right hand and usaully can go threw it. As for small for speed and control that's fine but when you come across elm a 6# wont do.

I have one of these after i broke the head of my fathers old Collins made 8lb maul

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12265 I got the 2300G heavy splitting axe. They also make a version with wood handle

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11718

Whats really cool is you can purchase diffrent heads/handle lengths etc. and switch em around. I have had no problems with this axe, i even have a nick in the handle where i was being stupid and i have had no problems with cracking or breaking the handle.

The other suggestion i recieved...more along traditional lines was this

http://www.mckinneyhonda.com/chain-saws-n-power-equip_stihl_pa80.html they are actualy made by Iltis Oxhead which is a german company

I do like my Helko Tomahawk it splits wood like i think it should.

Stew

Any other updates on this thread? I need a new maul and I'm not sure if I should go with the plain-Jane 8 lb or so high-tech design...

I went through several mauls, and even more handles, I even got the massive steel handled monstrosity! ( My Chiropractor said I gave myself whip-lash from using that one! Several sessions with him, and hundreds of dollars later, the pain finally started getting better) I gave up splitting by hand, and bought a Swisher 28 ton splitter. I will never look back! Ever!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.