Best stack ever

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burn-1

Feeling the Heat
Jul 13, 2006
Lakes Region, NH
We discussed in recent threads how Colonial Era New England homes used 30-40 cords per year and how much work that must have been to do it by hand, etc.

As I have got back to wood burning, I have been reading some great books on the history of logging, pulp & paper, etc in the US and especially in the Northeast. While scouring the web for some new books, I found this photo taken in British Columbia sometime in the 1800's. The picture said it was two million spruce ties, I am unsure whether they mean in board feet or actual ties, probably the latter considering the demand for them during the railroad expansion days. Although I have seen some of the pictures of rivers swollen with pulp bolts and sawlogs in these books with some mechanically done enormous piles, this one had to have been done by hand and it gets my vote for the best stack ever.

Attachments

• BigTim3.jpg
    BigTim3.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,077
Amateurs
Dont they know logs that long will never dry ;)

My vote for best stack ever

Attachments

• scarlett_johansson.jpg
    scarlett_johansson.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 844
i was cautiously optimistic that this thread would deteriorate into this type of thread. atta boy babalu!

The OP picture is actually Eric Johnson's great-grandfather's woodpile in his back yard.

At least the stack in Burn-1's picture is real, but not nearly as fun to look at. :-/

Any more info on the picture? How many men/how long it took them to cut all that, etc?

Gibbonboy said:
At least the stack in Burn-1's picture is real, but not nearly as fun to look at. :-/

Any more info on the picture? How many men/how long it took them to cut all that, etc?

Gibbon
Scarletts ARE real

ROFL Bart

Status
Not open for further replies.