Best steak I've ever had!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swagler85

Minister of Fire
Mar 4, 2012
NE Ohio
seansellsohio.com
So my wife brings home a marinade called game tame. We put elk steaks in that stuff for day and a half, put it on the cast iron skillet in just a bit of oil. Dang if that isn't the best steak I've ever had. Put a little sautéed onion and garlic butter on just to top it off.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363989725.661283.jpg

Here's the marinade, I say worth it's weight in gold.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363990082.491819.jpg

Wow looks delish,,,,I just had a big deer burger for supper....Yummo.

You had me at "steak".

i am so jealous!

Dayum that looks good. To the OP — did you by any chance catch Hotel/Restaurant Nightmares when Chef Ramsay went to a place that served Elk. The proprietor said it's always tough and chewy -- Ramsay said that does not have to be the case — now you an expert can tell us if that's true or not?

As for myself, had the best steak I ever ate in 50 years at Old Hickory Steak House in Dallas (at the Gaylord Texan) earlier this month, courtesy of the boss. I was fortunate to share a sensational tasting porterhouse. Now, back in N.Y. I wonder why I even bother buying steak.

But I'm definitely game for checking out the OP's Game Tame marinade...next time I get some venison.

Let it marinade in there at least a day!

Let it marinade in there at least a day!
I love a long marinade, really lets the flavor come out.
But... my real question is- did you age the meat? This is just a tip....
Next go around, hang the quarters and backstrap/tenderloins in an area the doesn't fluctuate much from 34::F- to- 38::F. Let it go for 2 weeks (3 if it freezes overnight). NO skin on, let it get a rind on it. Don't sweat a light surface mold on the rind. And then, smell it. I know that sounds weird, but you'll notice a difference in smell. When you notice that difference, process the meat the next day. The consistency of the flavor and texture is night and day. Taste will rival the best beef you've eaten.

Reactions: swagler85
Looks very tasty, bet it was great, this is not fair, I think you should send us all a sample or invite us over next time ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.