Best stove as primary heat? 1500sqft & drafty! Quadrafire/Buck/Napoleon/Enerzone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharkhunter

Mar 9, 2013
Trying to find the best option for a wood stove to heat our home. We would like to stay under $2500 for the stove. Downstairs is one big 650sqft great room and then a 300 sqft addition for the kitchen & bathroom. Upstairs (after some remodeling) will be 300 sqft of loft and 250 sqft of bedroom. Roughly 1500 sqft total. Basement is a garage and is heated separately.

House is old, drafty, and currently pretty poorly insulated. However, for the past 10 years we have heated just the downstairs with a Vogelzang boxstove and have survived. Seriously, anything will be an improvement!

Currently have access to lots of free (and dry) wood to burn, but are also considering buying compressed bricks for the cleanliness.

As this will be our primary heating source, we are looking for something that will burn all night while we sleep or when we are out. We live in northern Ohio – usually the coldest it gets is in the teens, but not unusual for days to be below zero.

Our local dealer has the following that we are trying to narrow down:
  • Quadrafire 4300 Steptop ($2600)
  • Buck 81 ($2350)
  • Napoleon 1900 ($2300)
  • Quadrafire 4300 Millennium ($2100) - no ash pan
  • Enerzone 3.4 ($1800)
  • I found a used 1900 on craigslist for $1250 and a used Quadra-fire 5700 for $2100. Both claim to have only been used for a season or two.
I’d love to hear if anyone has an opinion on any of these stoves. We are having a tough time even eliminating some of these from the running. I am leaning toward the used Napoleon 1900 or the Quadrafire Millennium. Any thoughts on ash pan vs. no ash pan?

I have seen several Enerzones in action and have been very impressed! They are very responsive and clean burning. For the price, you can't go wrong.
Dont let the ash pan be a determining factor here, there are perks either way, but if you get one, give it a try. I sure like mine!

I think the best bang for the buck would be to stop the drafts and insulate. Now that box stove is a bit infamous so that would be going also. I'd pick up one of the big budget 3+ cubic foot stoves to heat in the mean time. A Drolet or Englander would fill the bill for well under a thousand. Then after the place was tightened up I'd spend some time searching for the stove you truly love. It might not need to be very large when you aren't losing much heat. You can sell the used stove for nearly the amount that you bought it for.

Matt

I have seen several Enerzones in action and have been very impressed! They are very responsive and clean burning. For the price, you can't go wrong.
Dont let the ash pan be a determining factor here, there are perks either way, but if you get one, give it a try. I sure like mine!

The low price on the Enerzone is a pretty high selling point, too! Thanks.

Oh, as to the ashpan. Some are useful, some are useless. For me this primarily relates to the size. The one on my Century is large enough to handle 2 weeks of burning. The one on my Englander is useless. It is too small. It might hold a gallon and a half of ash and the last time I shoveled out the stove I took out 5 gallons of ash.
So the ashpan's utility depends on its size and that depends on the stove.

Matt

I think the best bang for the buck would be to stop the drafts and insulate. Now that box stove is a bit infamous so that would be going also. I'd pick up one of the big budget 3+ cubic foot stoves to heat in the mean time. A Drolet or Englander would fill the bill for well under a thousand. Then after the place was tightened up I'd spend some time searching for the stove you truly love. It might not need to be very large when you aren't losing much heat. You can sell the used stove for nearly the amount that you bought it for.

Matt

I know - the insulating is going to be in our very near future, along with new windows. We are planning a pretty extensive remodel over the next 2 years that will involve cutting through the a big part of the first floor ceiling to the second to create the loft space upstairs. We also have another 800sqft room that is currently unheated and are undecided on if we want to turn it into living space or not. If so, the stove we are buying now may still not be quite big enough. Woodstoves do seem to hold their value pretty well, so whatever we buy this year could always be sold.

Right now, though, our stove is not hooked up to the chimney. The new stove will be hooked to the chimney, so we will have to build a hearth and make sure whatever stove we buy will have the proper clearance.

If that Napoleon 1900 is in good condition that could be a very nice deal. You might want to price out an Enerzone 2.9 also. That should be sufficient and less money.

Reactions: ScotO
I second the Englander motion. Isn't this the time of year you can get them new for around $600? They have a 3CF firebox I think.

I second the Englander motion. Isn't this the time of year you can get them new for around $600? They have a 3CF firebox I think.

The 30-NC has a 3.5 cu ft firebox...

The Enerzone 3.4 is a Monster Heater.

What dealer are you looking at? Heat Exchange has the Blaze king line this winter? The Princess is a solid unit, but will demand a higher cost. Have you looked at Woodstocks line-up?

If you want to do it on the cheap, but want lots of heat. The Drolet and Englander will fit the bill. My 30 has far exceeded my expectations. Right now, the stove can be had for under $1,000, which leaves more money for Saws, Splitter, Super Cedars, Etc. ;)

Good luck and start getting any and all wood you can. Wood that's 6-9 months old, isn't gonna be a deal breaker. But your 2nd and 3rd year, will be much better. Lots of scrounging opportunities here in NEO (I work in Cleveland, live just South of Wellington)

I'd go for a large cat stove as my primary heat source. Cat stove can be adjusted to burn low but still cleanly. With wood as your primary heat source think about the large part of the year when you need heat, but don't need the same full heat output that you'll need in the middle of winter.

Reactions: Highbeam and Ashful
I'd check your prices again, I'm sure there are deals and discounts at most dealers right now. I just ordered a new Quadrafire Isle Royale last week from my local dealer for $2300. Also remember there is a 10% biomass tax credit for up to $300 good for the rest of this year. With that credit I will end up getting mine for a $2070 so I'm sure there are better prices for what you are looking for. With the open floor plan you are working with I would def recommend going for the bigger of your options to give you that extra reserve on really cold nights.

Reactions: Mitch Newton
Since you're looking at this as primary heat and need long burn times, a catalytic stove seems like a good idea. I think most of the ones on your list are non-catalytic.

Reactions: Ashful
I'd go for a large cat stove as my primary heat source. Cat stove can be adjusted to burn low but still cleanly. With wood as your primary heat source think about the large part of the year when you need heat, but don't need the same full heat output that you'll need in the middle of winter.

Since you're looking at this as primary heat and need long burn times, a catalytic stove seems like a good idea. I think most of the ones on your list are non-catalytic.

Any suggestions of brands/models that may be a good fit? Can anyone point me to some general info on catalytic vs non-cat? I've been searching up a storm but not coming up with many good results. Would a cat stove would be a little pricier? Being able to regulate the heat a bit better would be awesome - right now when it's above 50 deg I have to decide if I'm willing to just put on some more layers & a hat and not have a fire cooking, or build a fire and have it be 80 degrees.

I'd check your prices again, I'm sure there are deals and discounts at most dealers right now. I just ordered a new Quadrafire Isle Royale last week from my local dealer for $2300. Also remember there is a 10% biomass tax credit for up to $300 good for the rest of this year. With that credit I will end up getting mine for a $2070 so I'm sure there are better prices for what you are looking for. With the open floor plan you are working with I would def recommend going for the bigger of your options to give you that extra reserve on really cold nights.

I was also surprised that the dealer didn't have any of the burners on sale. Will probably buy in a month (if we can decide!), so I'm hoping by then they will be offering some discounts. Even so, I'm still willing to pay a bit more for a burner from a locally owned store, especially since they appear to have pretty good customer service (the guy spent about an hour talking to us about every stove they have and what it will take to install).

I was also surprised that the dealer didn't have any of the burners on sale. Will probably buy in a month (if we can decide!), so I'm hoping by then they will be offering some discounts. Even so, I'm still willing to pay a bit more for a burner from a locally owned store, especially since they appear to have pretty good customer service (the guy spent about an hour talking to us about every stove they have and what it will take to install).

Who is your Dealer? In my post above, I noted that Heat Exchange picked up the Blaze King line this year.

The Blaze Kings are a highly regarded Cat Stove here. Along with Woodstocks. Also noted above.

I forgot to add that my price included side warming shelves.

Where are you located sharkhunter? Climate could have a lot to do with seasonal sales. Here in ohio we are pretty much out of the burn season and into spring shoulder season now. If you're still burning where you are you might have to wait another few weeks for some deals. Check online too, Quad had a $300 instant rebate that ended 3/4 that I took advantage of. I think there is still a $100 rebate you can use but you'll have to Check online. Check other manufacturers too, might find something worth your time.

I forgot to add that my price included side warming shelves.

Where are you located sharkhunter? Climate could have a lot to do with seasonal sales. Here in ohio we are pretty much out of the burn season and into spring shoulder season now. If you're still burning where you are you might have to wait another few weeks for some deals. Check online too, Quad had a $300 instant rebate that ended 3/4 that I took advantage of. I think there is still a $100 rebate you can use but you'll have to Check online. Check other manufacturers too, might find something worth your time.

Whoops! I missed that you're in northern Ohio. Check online bc you should find some deals

Being able to regulate the heat a bit better would be awesome - right now when it's above 50 deg I have to decide if I'm willing to just put on some more layers & a hat and not have a fire cooking, or build a fire and have it be 80 degrees.

I heat 100% with wood in a moderate climate and a 9 month burning season. We get extra cold for a few weeks every year into the teens and sometimes single digit temps. The concept of burning wood when it is above 50 degrees is not odd to me. I want/need a stove that allows me to heat the home anytime the home needs heat with long burn times as the number one priority. A cat stove is the only stove that allows you to burn low and slow. Any wood burner that wants to heat 100% with wood would actually need to find a reason to NOT want a cat stove. They are superior 24/7 heaters. No non-cat will allow you to load a stove one time every 24 hours and keep your home in the 70s when outside temps are in the 30s.

I have experience that allows me to make these statements as I burned a modern non-cat hearthstone heritage for 5 years and about 25 cords of wood. Made the switch to the BK cat stove after lots of research.

I heat 100% with wood in a moderate climate and a 9 month burning season. We get extra cold for a few weeks every year into the teens and sometimes single digit temps. The concept of burning wood when it is above 50 degrees is not odd to me. I want/need a stove that allows me to heat the home anytime the home needs heat with long burn times as the number one priority. A cat stove is the only stove that allows you to burn low and slow. Any wood burner that wants to heat 100% with wood would actually need to find a reason to NOT want a cat stove. They are superior 24/7 heaters. No non-cat will allow you to load a stove one time every 24 hours and keep your home in the 70s when outside temps are in the 30s.

I have experience that allows me to make these statements as I burned a modern non-cat hearthstone heritage for 5 years and about 25 cords of wood. Made the switch to the BK cat stove after lots of research.

How many sf are you heating with your BK? Were there any other cat brands/models that you considered? There is a store about an hour from me that carries the BK's - I may make a trip up there tomorrow to check them out.

How many sf are you heating with your BK? Were there any other cat brands/models that you considered? There is a store about an hour from me that carries the BK's - I may make a trip up there tomorrow to check them out.

I am heating 1700 SF of single story 1963 built home in the cascade mountain foothills. It's a decent sized stove at nearly 3 CF that holds a lot of wood for the longest burn time of any non-BK stove by nearly double. Seriously, this thing is rated for a 30 hour burn and I can get it with low btu woods. If you want lots of heat you can get all 3 cubic feet of wood to burn up in a short time period like 10 hours and still outperform the equivalent sized non-cat stove since the EPA rates the princess as #2 most efficient stove in the world.

I considered all other brands with woodstock being a close second place. The fireview was the closest but the large required clearances to combustibles pushed me away. Their newer PH hybrid is not a desirable option since burn times are very short. There aren't a lot of cat stoves to choose from since the big manufacturers have been pushing non-cats for decades. A newcomer is the lopi cape cod.

Remember, long burns are #1 when heating with wood for primary heat. You want the ability to have a long burn to keep the house warm when you sleep or are away from work. It's almost boring heating with wood when all you have to do is load the stove every day at 5pm.

Remember, long burns are #1 when heating with wood for primary heat. You want the ability to have a long burn to keep the house warm when you sleep or are away from work. It's almost boring heating with wood when all you have to do is load the stove every day at 5pm.

After almost a decade of messing with the stove just about every two hours, I'm ready for some boredom!

I am heating 1700 SF of single story 1963 built home in the cascade mountain foothills. It's a decent sized stove at nearly 3 CF that holds a lot of wood for the longest burn time of any non-BK stove by nearly double. Seriously, this thing is rated for a 30 hour burn and I can get it with low btu woods. If you want lots of heat you can get all 3 cubic feet of wood to burn up in a short time period like 10 hours and still outperform the equivalent sized non-cat stove since the EPA rates the princess as #2 most efficient stove in the world.

I considered all other brands with woodstock being a close second place. The fireview was the closest but the large required clearances to combustibles pushed me away. Their newer PH hybrid is not a desirable option since burn times are very short. There aren't a lot of cat stoves to choose from since the big manufacturers have been pushing non-cats for decades. A newcomer is the lopi cape cod.

Didn't Machria just get a 22 hour burn with his PH without trying? Most of us simply don't try to burn long:that's not why we got the stoves. 12 hour burns work great: very convenient.

Didn't penelope just bake a cake without trying? Woodstock rates the PH stove for 16 hours burntime as I recall. That's great if you are willing to settle for such a short burntime despite such a large load of fuel but some of us would rather the dang thing just burn all day and then 6 hours into the next.

If you can't get 24 hour burns, 12 hour cycles are second best. It makes burning an easy routine.

Didn't Machria just get a 22 hour burn with his PH without trying? Most of us simply don't try to burn long:that's not why we got the stoves. 12 hour burns work great: very convenient.

Just ordered a PH yesterday................Can't wait !! ==c==c

Status
Not open for further replies.