Best time of year to get a good price on a stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcims

Nov 18, 2008
Midwest
Hi folks,

We missed this year, but after dumping way too much $$$ into propane, we're dead set on heating with wood next season.

Is there a particular time of year when you can get the best deal on a stove? It would seem (to me) that spring would be that time, but i just wondered if reality is any different.

Thanks!

I would say the time is now. Alot of shops stocked up during the height of the season when the fuel costs were so high. And they want to get rid of them now to stock up for next season. We allready have our orders in for stoves for next season. Any stove we have left in stock is on sale.

No question about it- now is the time to buy. I've been shopping since about November of 2008 and watched prices. Many manufacturers are giving incentives now, many stove shops have reduced pricing, and some on-line places have both reduced pricing and low shipping rates (not insignificant with a 400-500 lbs. stove!).

I pulled the trigger on my new one last week. Should arrive next week. Probably too late to really put it to the test, but I can "ruminate" about it over the summer. Who knows, maybe we'll get one more shot of cold in April?

Have you searched all the "30% tax credit" threads? This year is absolutely going to be the best time to buy, but a significant tax credit will make a big difference. Make sure you choose with this in mind (most manufacturers don't yet have this figured out).

MarkG

not sure where you are in the midwest, but here's a stove on ebay. Nice stove, seems like a good deal. http://cgi.ebay.com/HearthStone-Homestead-Wood-Stove-used-1-year_W0QQitemZ280325211992QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item280325211992&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

I mulled this over this year also. NOW is the time. I started shopping around in January and February and found that the stove stores still had some operating models going that you could actually see. After checking around to find the models I had read about here, I ran across a dealer that had a left over Quadrafire . The closest thing I could find to it was $800 more, so I grabbed the Quadrafire. Brand new, but two years old in the warehouse. Now I see on Quadrafires web site that it will qualify for the tax credit.

The supplies are relatively "up" after the big demand of last year. People that bought last summer had to wait months (depending on the stove, of course) for delivery. Dealers ordered and stocked up when they could, oil prices dropped, and so the demand is down. Translation = left over stoves.

News hasn't spread to the general public yet about the tax credit. It amounts to 30% on biomass stoves put into use this year. Check the manufacturer's web sites to see what they have to say.

The economy is still questionable, now might be the time to shop around and make an offer on any stove the dealer has - they might just take it.

Maybe they are getting rid of their floor models? Good luck and have fun with it!

Generally, most companies have their sales in February-March but deals can be had perhaps through April.

One word of caution: If you have made up your mind on purchasing a new stove, what have you done about your fuel needs?

Operating a wood stove is much different from operating a furnace. With a furnace you can install then go out and buy the fuel. True, most folks do that exact same thing with a wood stove....and almost every one of them has big problems. Either they can't get the fire going, or have problems keeping it going and don't get much heat and their chimney begins clogging with soot and creosote within a month or two, etc., etc.

If you are going to heat with wood next winter, GET YOUR WOOD SUPPLY ON HAND NOW! Do not wait. If you purchase your wood from a supplier, they will say their wood is seasoned....which usually means absolutely nothing. What they call seaoned wood and what a true wood burner calls seasoned wood are two different things.

Wood should be cut, split and stacked a year before burning in a stove. So get your wood before you get your stove! You will save yourself many, many problems and headaches this way.

Good luck to you.

Now is the time. HHT products have up to $600 off instant rebate right now through mid April. Also you can get the tax rebate back on your 2009 taxes.

Most shops are going to be slow right now as well (this is the normal slow time PLUS poor economy) and might be willing to make extra deals to close a sale.

jtp10181 said:
Now is the time. HHT products have up to $600 off instant rebate right now through mid April. Also you can get the tax rebate back on your 2009 taxes.

Most shops are going to be slow right now as well (this is the normal slow time PLUS poor economy) and might be willing to make extra deals to close a sale.

Thanks for the feedback everybody! We've been cruising the used market but the combination of rebates like the above plus the potential tax credit are making new look like a real option.

We already have about 4 cords cut (about half split) and stacked and will continue to build up our supply this spring for the upcoming heating season.

Thanks again.

For drying, from now until fall is not an optimal length of time. Make sure you get that stuff stacked loose and out in the wind and hot sun, this will give you your best chance in the fall.

jtp10181 said:
For drying, from now until fall is not an optimal length of time. Make sure you get that stuff stacked loose and out in the wind and hot sun, this will give you your best chance in the fall.

Thanks for the reply. I need to get a moisture meter so i can get a feel for where things are, but a good bit of this wood has been split for about 8 months already, and some of it was dead standing and seems to be quite dry as it is.

Believe it or not, the 'wind and hot sun' comment just solved one question about where i'm going to keep my stacks though (they are currently scattered about). It's a little less convenient, but will be much better on those two counts....thank you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.