Best types of trees to plant?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane N

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2012
West Central MN
The 160 acres that I have a chunk of and my parents own the rest is mostly 10-15 year old poplar right now. There are a few oak stands, maybe 20 years old. I'd guess a max of 15 acres of oak.

I'm thinking about planning for the future and planting trees now to harvest 20 years from now. What species would you guys recommend to plant? We are in sandy, flat soil. West central Minnesota.

From what I've read on here, it seems like black locust is a favorite hardwood. I was surprised to read a lot about it growing just as fast as a softwood. It isn't native to MN, but it sounds like it should grow here. Would that be the best choice? Apparently it matures in 20 years.

Black locust and hedge

I've got b/l seedlings started now. I can get you lots of seed pods and help you get them going. Pat

I'd plant Black Locust plus a mix of other trees native to your area. Black Locust grows fast when it is young, makes useful stuff like fence posts that don't rot, and is great firewood. It also fixes nitrogen and allows other trees to grow pretty well in the light shade it casts. That makes locust a good starter tree for a woodland, with other trees filling in later. It it were my land I'd want a nice mix of all the local native trees in addition to the Locust. Maybe plant locust seedlings then simply scatter seeds of other trees over the next few years. I can't argue with Hedge because it is great fuel; I think it will grow just fine in MN although it is native to the southern Plains. I'd also plant some evergreens for variety and wildlife habitat.

Reactions: Brewmonster
While locust does grow fast, and is a great tree to burn, be aware that it can be invasive. It is especially good at taking over in places with poor soil and sand. As a legume, it has a beneficial relationship with bacteria that can draw nitrogen from the air.

I'd stick with oaks. If you selectively clear around the trees you want, they will grow fast and healthy. The trees that naturally grow in your area grow there because they are specially adapted to grow in your area. For instance, the Red Maple has a range down to Florida. Yet the Florida trees won't live up here. They are genetically different.

Matt

I'd definately thin out the poplar , it is also an invase tree. It grows fast and can block out other hardwoods. I'd definately plant some locust and mulberry both great firewoods. Mullberry will atract wildlife. I'd plant different types of maples some are fast growing. Pin oak is a fast growing oak. Best of luck.

Locust, Oak and Cherry would be my recommendations. Hickory would be good also.

While locust does grow fast, and is a great tree to burn, be aware that it can be invasive. It is especially good at taking over in places with poor soil and sand. As a legume, it has a beneficial relationship with bacteria that can draw nitrogen from the air.

I'd stick with oaks. If you selectively clear around the trees you want, they will grow fast and healthy. The trees that naturally grow in your area grow there because they are specially adapted to grow in your area. For instance, the Red Maple has a range down to Florida. Yet the Florida trees won't live up here. They are genetically different.

Matt

Would locusts eventually get overtaken by oaks, or visa versa? Or would they just mingle fine together, while the locust spreads?

I planted a small island of shrubs and trees in my yard to take up some lawn space, last summer I had a BL seedling pop up and I left it there as it grew pencil thick up six feet or so as I actually thought it was a flowering memosa (sp), anywho this past summer it shot up to about sixteen feet :-O holy fast growing batman and about as thick as a quarter. of course this growth speed may be due to the competition with my plantings.

Would locusts eventually get overtaken by oaks, or visa versa? Or would they just mingle fine together, while the locust spreads?

Locust spreads into sunny areas but as the forest grows around them, they give way to trees that are better at sprouting in the shade. Oak seedlings will grow well in the shade of locusts, but locust seedlings don't do well in shade.

Unless you are really gung ho about planting trees I can't imagine you'll plant more than a small fraction of the 160 acres in anything. Most of the land will regenerate naturally. Are the many acres of poplar actually 100% poplar, or are there a few other trees or seedlings in there? Thinning the poplar to allow other things to grow better will be the easiest way to get trees, and I think you'll find the fastest way as well. You can cut and burn the poplar to allow the other trees to grow, and if there are poplar that you can't easily fell without damaging the trees you want to save, consider girdling the poplars. Girdling is cutting a band out of the bark so the tree dies. Standing dead poplars are good wildlife trees, and girdling is quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.