Best Value Saw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sl7vk

Jun 26, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm new to wood, but I will be cutting this fall. In Utah you can cut 2 cords per year off of forest service land for a 10 dollar permit....

I'm a value shopper, for most things. I like the value that you get with Echo saws.... but I'd like some suggestions.

I'm looking for something in the 250 dollar price range.

The Echo cs-400 can be had for about that price, but people seem to love Domar around here. I think the 5100's is too much saw for me, but what about their smaller units? Thanks in advance for suggestions, or help....

Hi - I just bought a used Dolmar (Makita) 6300 for $250 at Home Depot. I also have a 5100. The 5100 is light and fast. I think you would get great service out of it. Echo's are fine as well.

ATB,
Mike P

I think zzr7ky means Dolmar/Makita 6400. Anyway IMO $250 is not enough to buy a good quality new saw for the amount of cutting you will be doing. I would look for a used Husky 346XP, 359, Dolmar 5100, or $tihl 290, or increase your budget to $400 and buy one of them new.

$250 for a new saw is pretty limiting. I think that you're right, the CS400 is about as good a new saw as you're likely to find for that price. I'd think that it would be a nice firewood machine with a 14" bar and a sharp chain, assuming you're going to be sticking with smaller trees.

Thats the ticket small trees. Your not going to be happy if you are planning on bucking anything large..Just keep that in mind.

Hi -

Yes- Clarkharms is correct I ment the Dolmar/Makita 6400.

Thanks Computeruser for putting me onto the Home Depot Makita 6400 rental unit deal. My saw shows very little use and had a brand new bar on it. The chain was new but so 'safe' it didn't cut much. A loop of Stihl chain and it's a different saw.

My second choices were Husky 346, 353, and 359. Several local tree trimmers use Echo.

Mail ordering several Oregon chains will also save some cash.

ATB,
Mike P

Everywhere I turn, Dolmar this Dolmar that....

All the Dolmar "dealers" in Salt Lake don't have any in stock, but Salt Lake is the Western Distribution center for Dolmar, so they can all get a saw in 1 day or so..... Parts are easily supplied as well..

One dealer just North of me said that he'd get me the saw for 399, and that is the best I've found. Everyone else wants the 434.99.......

It may just be better to spend a little more on this saw, just for the resale value alone. These things go fast and easy on ebay used.......

Add another 150 bucks in safty gear and I'm into this thing a good 550 or so...... Yuck.

I bought a Craftsman saw first and it just wouldn't do the job. The cheaper saws are not built to cut firewood. They are built to cut up a limb or two that fall in the yard from a storm. I finally bought a Husky 350 and will never look back. Yea, it costs more but you will save money in the long run, I was lucky, Sears gave me a full refund on the saw and most of the stuff I got to go with it. (saw box, extra chain, etc.....) Buy a really good saw first, and save yourself some money, and frustration.

jeffman3 said:
I bought a Craftsman saw first and it just wouldn't do the job. The cheaper saws are not built to cut firewood. They are built to cut up a limb or two that fall in the yard from a storm. I finally bought a Husky 350 and will never look back. Yea, it costs more but you will save money in the long run, I was lucky, Sears gave me a full refund on the saw and most of the stuff I got to go with it. (saw box, extra chain, etc.....) Buy a really good saw first, and save yourself some money, and frustration.

Mentally though, I feel the Echo cs-400 is a decent saw... No it isn't a Dolmar 5100 s, but do I need that much saw for 2 cords a year?

2 cords a year...that'll do the job did you got the 18" bar?

Two cords a year could be done with a steak knife if you had the time. I think the point jeffman3 was trying to make is better tools are worth the money, a point which I would have to agree with. I bought a mcKulluuug for my first saw and hated it. When I went to get rid of it and trade up to a Husky 359 I had to give the McKulluuug away because no one would buy it. When I traded in my 359 for the Dolmar 7900 I had a waiting line of buyers for the saw. In total the 359 cost me $200 to own over 7 years of use including clearing the lot where my house now sits. It was a joy to operate and I didn't have lick of trouble with it. Buy quality you won't regret it.

I have a sears craftsmen 18" going on 3 yrs now!beat the crap out of it and the only thing i have had to change is the chain.Never a problem with starting and running it.

stanleyjohn said:
I have a sears craftsmen 18" going on 3 yrs now!beat the crap out of it and the only thing i have had to change is the chain.Never a problem with starting and running it.

I've got a dealer out of Phoenix that will sell me the echo cs-400 with receipt and warranty card for 200 bucks, +17 dollars shipping....

I think I'm sold.

If nothing else this will be the saw that I'll learn how to use a saw with, and if I need more juice, I'll get a big Makita used from HomeDepot rental.

stanleyjohn said:

My Mckulluuug would always start and run but that don't mean much if it vibrates my hands to death and bogs down as soon as it touches wood. A tool should make a job easier and the operator happy.

I would like to ask if you have ever had anyone check your wood for how much you cut? I have a friend who we cut wood in Cedar City and the guy who was with us had a Sthil 088 with a 60 inch bar. The saw was a big as he was and we cut some BIG stuff and had to split it by hand to get it in the truck.

I am not saying to cut more than your 2 cords, but if your going to cut wood for years to come and want a saw to last and get the job done, then I would suggest a Dolmar 5100 with a 18 inch bar. I sold my Stihls and bought Dolmars and dont regret it one bit.

Shipper

sl7vk if you're new to wood you can save yourself a lot of aggravation by doing business with a dealer...the $50 you save won't even fill your gas tank. Plus the info and knowledge you gain is worth quite a bit....just mo.

If it was 50 bucks I'd be with you..... But it's 100.

Local Dealer (just down the street from me 1/2 mile and very friendly) sells Echo, Jonsered, and Husqvarana.

Echo cs-400 $300 dollars
Jonsered 2150 $339
Husqvarna 445 $289

The Dolmar dealer is about 15 miles away, and he seemed nice on the phone. He owns a rental outfit, and quoted me
Dolmar 5100 S $399
The Dolmar dealer closest to my house quoted me 439 for the 5100 S.

There is a Stihl dealer not too far from the Husky dealer.... I felt they were A-holes. They just went on and on about how other companies quality was subpar.... Horrible sales tactic.

MS-250 $319
MS-290 $359

None of the Dolmar dealers have the saw in stock, but they can all get it in a day (Salt Lake is a distribution center for Dolmar).

So this is what I'm confronted with.....

I want to buy local, and I like the Dolmar but 400 dollars makes me shutter a bit for the amount of usage this saw will be getting......

I looked at all the saws in my buget under 400 bucks ........the echo is only pushing 40cc (less than my craftsman and Pull-on)
I bounced from MS this ...MS that ....Husky this.... Johnny that........I went and Looked at the 5100s and drove home with it.

Check out the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmKWhsg6UkU

WoodButcher

Status
Not open for further replies.