Best way and product to clean Blaze King glass.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
I'm hoping it will soon warm up and I can shut the stove down. A new King Ultra havent't really beeen able to burn it too hot yet mostly on 1.5 and 2 except on startup. I am wondering what might be a good product to clean the glass,something that is non abrasive and does a good job,don't want to put any scratches in a new unit.Any help from those burning catalytic stove would be appreciated,this is my first. Thanks

For more info, search these forums for "cleaning glass" or something similar. 1145 posts will show up explain how to do it. Folks are going to tell you that in most cases, dipping a wet newspaper into your ashes and using that as a mild abrasive should do the job. In fact if I wait 2 minutes before submitting this post, there will be a bunch stating just that.

Franks said:
For more info, search these forums for "cleaning glass" or something similar. 1145 posts will show up explain how to do it. Folks are going to tell you that in most cases, dipping a wet newspaper into your ashes and using that as a mild abrasive should do the job. In fact if I wait 2 minutes before submitting this post, there will be a bunch stating just that.

Just dip wet newspaper in your ashes and clean it that way :)
In all seriousness though it does work quite well

certified106 said:
Franks said:

Just dip wet newspaper in your ashes and clean it that way :)
In all seriousness though it does work quite well

The only people who try to get you to use expensive cleaners are the guys selling them.

Once you've done it for free, you'll never look back.

But of course, the real trick to cleaning glass is to use well seasoned wood and it will stay quite clean by itself :)

When it needs it, iI scrape it with a razor with a piece of newspaper under it and then finish up with Simple Green. Seasoned wood WILL keep it to a minimum. I was burning chunks of poplar that I thought were seasoned and when I stopped burning them and kept a tiny bit of airflow I had no need to clean the glass.

You would think if a 600.00 stove can keep the glass clean a 2500.00+ ought to be able for sure.

Windex (or equivalent glass cleaner) and a paper towel. Works for me. Rick

Green scotchbrite pad and oven cleaner or soft scrub beach cleaner. The ash/newspaper thing didn't work worth a crap for me.

Oh man...be very careful with Scotch-Brite pads. They come in varying degrees of coarseness/hardness. The most aggressive of them will actually scratch glass. I know this because I managed to put some permanent scratches into the windshield of my old '92 Camaro when I was working to remove a bit of paint overspray. Make sure you know exactly which Scotch-Brite product you've got in your hand before you take it to the window of your stove. Rick

I would advise against the green Scotch-Brite kitchen pads as well. They will scratch your glass.

If you must use pads, go to the Napa or Carquest store and buy the "white" Scotch-Brite pads. They are of a polishing grit equivalent , very fine.

Burn a hot fire on 3 for about an hour. Turns the brown smoke stain to gray powder.
Burn on 2 or above until it's out.
Open the doors & windows to cool the house down.
Get a piece of damp newspaper, dip in in the ashes, wipe the glass in the edges & corners where it's still a tad dirty..
When real cool, windex it & don't start a fire till Oct or Nov.
I'm almost at that stage, maybe another week or so.
Been burning real dry spruce, glass not as bad as when I burn birch. (even burning on low)
Dry wood is key & get it hot before turning it to a lower setting helps.

If just a light haze or brown . . .

. . . damp newspaper . . . you usually don't even need the ash. You can use other commercial products, but you may opt to be cheap like me and it doesn't get much cheaper than using the weekly newspaper to clean off the gunk.

If there is black or char . . .

. . . damp newspaper dipped in some of the fine wood ash . . . works like a charm . . . an alternative is to simply have a nice, hot fire in the firebox to burn off the gunk. As others have said . . . in time seeing this black will not be a frequent occurence with the use of well seasoned wood and learning how to run the stove efficiently.

There is a product out there called "Elbow Grease". Use that in conjunction with a damp paper towel and some ash. Works wonders.

Seriously, in the lower corners where it seems to really get baked on, use a very damp wad of paper-towel, plenty of ash, wipe it on wet and let it soak in a minute . It will come off quick. Repeat the process for the stubborn spots. Then a damp paper towel after it's done, to clean the haze. 5 min.

Beetle-Kill said:
There is a product out there called "Elbow Grease". Use that in conjunction with a damp paper towel and some ash. Works wonders.

Seriously, in the lower corners where it seems to really get baked on, use a very damp wad of paper-towel, plenty of ash, wipe it on wet and let it soak in a minute . It will come off quick. Repeat the process for the stubborn spots. Then a damp paper towel after it's done, to clean the haze. 5 min.
I think every BK set up will be different. I burn well seasoned wood and my glass is dirty :sick: My Jotul had spotless glass on the same wood. BK's just seem to have dirty glass, paper towels will not work for me, nor wet newspaper, nor wet rag dipped in ash, only a razor blade and glass cleaner. This is somethimg I will have to overklook, because I love the performance of it. :coolsmirk:

because someone has to be buying that stuff, right? . . .

I admit it--I buy and use the glass cleaner. Tried the newspaper-ash technique and saw/felt a tiny little scritching thing going on, shortly after seeing a post in here asking how to get the tiny little scratches out of the stove glass. Putting one and one together, and coming up with three, I deduced that I was willing to spend $8 to protect my investment and prolong the pleasure of watching the fire through clean glass. Not to criticize those for whom the ash works fine--it's just not for me.

I also like the fact that it's designed to make it easier to clean the next time. This was my rookie year with this setup, so burning some less-than-optimal wood, and sometimes the glass needed some extra help. What made the biggest difference for me was just staying on top of it. It became part of my routine to clean the door when I emptied the ashes, and then it just took a minute or two. When I let things go, and it baked to a glaze it took a long time to clean. What I did then was remove the door (easy to do w/Heritage), lay it on the table, and went after the glaze with white vinegar and baking soda. Sprinkle the soda on, dampen it with vinegar, and let it work for a bit, then apply elbow grease. Going through that once was enough to convince me that cleaning it before it gets baked on was a pretty easy thing to do.

Forget the cleaning solutions.....

Take a bunch of kindling get her ripping, close the bypass and keep the T-stat on 3 and you glass should be pretty darn clean. :cheese:

Cleaning the glass? What's that?

snowleopard said:
because someone has to be buying that stuff, right? . . .

I admit it--I buy and use the glass cleaner. Tried the newspaper-ash technique and saw/felt a tiny little scritching thing going on, shortly after seeing a post in here asking how to get the tiny little scratches out of the stove glass. Putting one and one together, and coming up with three, I deduced that I was willing to spend $8 to protect my investment and prolong the pleasure of watching the fire through clean glass. Not to criticize those for whom the ash works fine--it's just not for me.

I also like the fact that it's designed to make it easier to clean the next time. This was my rookie year with this setup, so burning some less-than-optimal wood, and sometimes the glass needed some extra help. What made the biggest difference for me was just staying on top of it. It became part of my routine to clean the door when I emptied the ashes, and then it just took a minute or two. When I let things go, and it baked to a glaze it took a long time to clean. What I did then was remove the door (easy to do w/Heritage), lay it on the table, and went after the glaze with white vinegar and baking soda. Sprinkle the soda on, dampen it with vinegar, and let it work for a bit, then apply elbow grease. Going through that once was enough to convince me that cleaning it before it gets baked on was a pretty easy thing to do.

I have used the stove glass cleaner before and you are right it just about melts the crud right off of the glass. Just a couple quick swipes with a towel and she looks gorgeous. On my old stove the glass was shot so I didn't care about cleaning it with ashes however the new one looks so nice I will probably think twice about scrubbing it with ashes........hmmm good thing it doesn't need cleaned yet

Hiram Maxim said:

Take a bunch of kindling get her ripping, close the bypass and keep the T-stat on 3 and you glass should be pretty darn clean. :cheese:

+1
Because the BK can burn at so low of temps, any wood will stain the glass.

Crank it up , glass cleans itself. Well, Hiram''s & mine does anyway.
I let it rip, stat on 3, for an hour or so, clean glass. It really does work. :)
Toast some marshmallows by the glass for some smores.
(Just don't touch the glass with the MM)

bogydave said:
Hiram Maxim said:

+1
Because the BK can burn at so low of temps, any wood will stain the glass.

Crank it up , glass cleans itself. Well, Hiram''s & mine does anyway.
I let it rip, stat on 3, for an hour or so, clean glass. It really does work. :)
Toast some marshmallows by the glass for some smores.
(Just don't touch the glass with the MM)

+2

Status
Not open for further replies.