best way to attach a digital temp sensor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpilihp

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Coastal ME
Hi alli, I know I read a thread on this but I cannot for the life of me find it.

I want to use a cheapo digital thermostat with a remote sensor on a wire to monitor the temp of my indirect DHW tank.

I currently have the sensor taped to the top output brass fitting with a piece of pipe insulation around it. It does read but I know its low.

Should I be using some sort of a heat transfer goop to attach the sensor to the fitting? Any other suggestions??

~ Phil

Thanks for the suggestion, I have some alum tape Ill give that a try, guess it will help convex heat to the other side of the sensor as well.

~ Phil

mine is just taped on with masking tape and covered with pipe foam, it reads 2-3* low.

Inexpensive suggestion: I wanted a number of sites where I could monitor my system. Tried hose clamp to pipe, wire wrap, all gave wildly different readings. Lots of insulation, glass wool, maybe 4 inches helped imeasurably. I finaly epoxy'd 1/4" soft copper directly to main pipe, JB Weld is good to 600F, slide BBQ sensor in, cover with fiberglass and monitor. I think, pretty acurate. I used same system to install some permanate sensors.

robby

Status
Not open for further replies.