Best way to attach top plate/rain cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OverRHeads

Jan 11, 2011
Northern Arkansas
Hello Everyone!

I am new to the forum and have already gained alot of knowledge! I have a quick question regarding how to attach my new top plate/rain cap when I install my stainless liner. Although it is shown in the picture with what appear to be screws sticking out of the sides, it did not come with any hardware but has holes in the sides where a screw would go. I will be attaching it to a 13"x13" terra cotta flue. What is the best and most reliable way to attach it? I am thinking some type of high temp silicone and tapcon screws but I would appreciate input!

deluxetop-terr.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Webmaster said:
Most folks use silicone to hold it down...so you have the right idea!
The tapcons are probably not needed, because the ss liner coming up also holds it.

I'd go with just silicone the first year or two and see what happens......

Right--around the pipe, under the perimeter, and in the screw holes.

I wouldnt use silicone in case you have to remove it. I drill my plates on down into the concrete because they are the support system for the liner. Then silicone over the top, but if you are using what its in your picture, the flip top from olympic chimney, you dont need anything it comes with 4 screws. I hate siliconed on caps when it comes to cleaning chimney, have to cut the silicone just to get the cap off..... PITA. Its meant to be removed, also the wire mesh can clog up with soot and you will want to be able to take it off to clean it if necessa
Edit- Also high tempo silicone is not rated for use outdoors, the cap will not be hiot enough to worry about the temperature so if you want to caulk it down i would suggest NP! or vulkem.

Everyone has their own methods....but I do know sweeps who used regular exterior clear silicone for such things for decades...they liked it specifically because it was easy to get off...........when they needed to (in cases where they are holding on chimney caps, etc. with it).....

Bottom line - any or all of the above should work.

An interesting point is that if one was using rigid liner, as we used to do a lot, it would be a no-no to fix everything down tight as the pipe would expand and contract and break loose.......flex, though, probably serves as it's own shock absorber.....and takes up the expansion and contraction.

Sounds like Olympia didn't send the screws just like they didn't with one of my two caps like that. Get on the phone and tell the dealer to get ya the screws. Mine are just screwed tight to the sides of the clay tiles and have withstood fifty mile an hour winds several times and they haven't moved at all.

As to George saying to put silicone around the liner, don't. you don't wanna glue the cap to the liner. The band holds it fine. And it is very possible to get that liner hot enough to vaporize silicone. And no silicone in the screw holes.

Webmaster said:
Everyone has their own methods....but I do know sweeps who used regular exterior clear silicone for such things for decades...they liked it specifically because it was easy to get off...........when they needed to (in cases where they are holding on chimney caps, etc. with it).....

Bottom line - any or all of the above should work.

An interesting point is that if one was using rigid liner, as we used to do a lot, it would be a no-no to fix everything down tight as the pipe would expand and contract and break loose.......flex, though, probably serves as it's own shock absorber.....and takes up the expansion and contraction.

Yes you are correct, rigid liner will grow up to 6" in length on a 20 foot run during heat, flex liner though, because of the corrugation can absob the stretch in anything up to a 60' run, i.e. the top doesnt move. I only caulk down caps when you dont have a tile to mount too and then i use reg silicone also figuring ill be out every 1 to 2 years, have to take it off and put it back on again but, its not strong enough fro severe winds (we've had some 70 mph gusts up here lately, and the silicone gets brittle and cracks in the cold or is easily cut by the sharp edge of the cap.

If you didnt get you 8 screws with that cap, call the dealer or call olympia directly (that really is an awesome product you have there the flip-top, and they will send some out ASAP. That is a lifetime warranty cap

Status
Not open for further replies.