Best way to buck large logs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Backwoods Savage said:
Most hardware stores either have them or can order one. You can do a search for cant hook also. You want a cant hook rather than a peavey. One with a 3' or 4' handle should do everything you need done. Mine is a 4' handle.

I disagree. Everyone who cuts their own firewood should have a peavy.

The handle on my peavy isn't much longer than 4'.

We are talking about the same thing, right?

d.n.f. said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Most hardware stores either have them or can order one. You can do a search for cant hook also. You want a cant hook rather than a peavey. One with a 3' or 4' handle should do everything you need done. Mine is a 4' handle.

Seriously, I have never seen one new.

I must pursue this as I need one badly.

cheers

I can't imagine every saw shop in BC not having one

lobsta1 said:
I've got a peavey & I think it is useless. I can't get a bite with it on the big stuff & I don't need it for the small stuff. As far as cutting big logs, WEDGES are your friend. I am cutting up 4' diameter oak right now with a 6401 with a 20" bar. I have to cut it into chunks. I start at say at 10 on the clock & go over the top with the entire bar buried & then down to bottom bark on one side. Then down to the bottom on the other side. Then I rip down the face in thirds as close to the bottom as I can get. Then drive some wedges down & split the chunk off the bark. Then crosscut horizontally across the face at the depth I was able to hit coming down from the top. Leave the bottom center until I get the next section cut with the outer two third sections cut off. I can now come back for the bottom center section. Only thing is even though I am only cutting 14" cookies, I still have to rip them down to smaller chunks. They are just way to heavy to move otherwise. Oh yeah, I also can't use my pulp hooks for the chunks. They just bounce off!
Al

Kinda odd

There are two possibilities here

1) You have a piece-of-sh_t peavy

2) Operator error

Perhaps I should have worded that different. My fault. Around here it is easy to get one.

However, I still say you should use a cant hook rather than a peavey. Perhaps some think they are the same thing and they are not. They are similar but not the same.

Once you start using a cant hook, you will probably wonder how you ever got along without one! Unless, of course, everything you cut is really small stuff. Then you need a sawbuck.

Backwoods Savage said:
Perhaps I should have worded that different. My fault. Around here it is easy to get one.

However, I still say you should use a cant hook rather than a peavey. Perhaps some think they are the same thing and they are not. They are similar but not the same.

Once you start using a cant hook, you will probably wonder how you ever got along without one! Unless, of course, everything you cut is really small stuff. Then you need a sawbuck.

Is a cant hook a peavy-like device with a cleat on it that lifts the end of a log off the ground? If so we call them log-jacks. They're handy if you're cutting with a partner and the logs aren't too big - the ones I've seen/used are not stout enough to roll the big fir.

No, not the same thing at all. Check out the link and scroll down just a bit for a picture which shows them side by side.

Cant hook vs Peavey

If I was cutting large log lengths in the yard , I'd build up the ground with a little crown.
Dirt, shavings, mulch whatever.
A few wedges to help hold things on the crown.

In the woods I use branches and roll onto them.
A cant hook or even just a branch as a lever works.
I've even levered fence posts/rails on bigger stuff. (including to get a stuck bar out)

The bigger stuff does test your engineering skills a little bit.

Best way to buck large logs? guess what a peavy cant hook or timber jack is not going to work on large trunk. I wouldn't worry about the chain hitting the ground just do your best and keep cutting til it is manageable.Peavy's are great tools but the saw is the weapon of choice on a big trunk.

I strongly recommend the Logrite peaveys and cant hooks. I paid about $125 for my 4' cant hook with the timber jack attachment--I absolutely love it! It's not cheap, but I could probably use it lift the rear end of my Tacoma out of a mud hole if I had to......it will definitely outlast me!!

NP

Nonprophet said:
I strongly recommend the Logrite peaveys and cant hooks. I paid about $125 for my 4' cant hook with the timber jack attachment--I absolutely love it! It's not cheap, but I could probably use it lift the rear end of my Tacoma out of a mud hole if I had to......it will definitely outlast me!!

NP

I'll agree with this. I bought a Logrite peavey with a timber jack attachment and love it also. Yes, not cheap. So? Neither was my saw.

Spikem said:
Nonprophet said:

NP

I'll agree with this. I bought a Logrite peavey with a timber jack attachment and love it also. Yes, not cheap. So? Neither was my saw.

Looked at the LogRite site. Didn't find a peavey with a log jack on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.