best way to burn hemlock OWB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prollynotjeff

Jan 23, 2011
twin tiers ny
I just purchased a new home that has a OWB. A guy that my dad knows has some land about 3 miles from my house and has been cutting hemlock and just letting it lay for quite a few years. My question is should I even bother spliting it more than once? I will be cutting it in 20-24inch lenghts. I know hemlock burns fast but its free and I would prefer to save my (small) wood source for a time when I may really need it.

I think a lot of the Hemlock is going to be rotten from laying on the ground. I don't know how your outdoor wood burner works, but a lot of guys put really big chunks of wood into outdoor wood burners.

Im sure that lots will have rot but I guess he has a bunch and he cuts some every year because the land has so much. I was going to try and get this years cuts and last years if its still good.

Thanks for the input!

My dad burns it in his OWB. He mixes it with super dry slabwoood and pallet sraps. Works fine
I'd split it once because the punky stuff on the outside is gonna be water soaked. If not punky don't split.
Welcome to the board neighbor. I'm just to the west of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.