Best way to clean the exterior of a Woodstock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmule

Feeling the Heat
Feb 9, 2011
Conifer Colorado
The stove I have is a bit dusty and there is a little rust on the iron bits of the stove what are you guys using to clean the exterior of the soapstone stoves?

A damp rag will take off the dust. You can sand down the rust on the iron, wipe with denatured alcohol and touch up with paint. I painted my Fireview a couple years ago with a small brush and it turned out real nice.

Todd said:
A damp rag will take off the dust. You can sand down the rust on the iron, wipe with denatured alcohol and touch up with paint. I painted my Fireview a couple years ago with a small brush and it turned out real nice.

If it is the flat black cast iron trim you might want to try Rutland's stove polish. It's a little easier to work with than paint the stove.

PLEASE don't use stove polish on our stoves. It is very messy to apply and you will probably end up getting this on the lighter soapstone and is almost always difficult to remove from the stove as well as your hands and every time you touch the stove frame it will always come onto your hands. Use high temperature stove paint. You can either get it from us or it is a very popular brand that you can most likely pick up in a stove shop. Mike.

I wire-brushed and spray-painted my Fireview black last fall. Around February or March, I noticed the paint was flaking off. Next time, I'm going to try a brush.

mikeh said:
PLEASE don't use stove polish on our stoves. It is very messy to apply and you will probably end up getting this on the lighter soapstone and is almost always difficult to remove from the stove as well as your hands and every time you touch the stove frame it will always come onto your hands. Use high temperature stove paint. You can either get it from us or it is a very popular brand that you can most likely pick up in a stove shop. Mike.

Noted. I only mentioned it as I have applied it on the Hearthstone Heritage which is cast iron framed much like the Fireview is and it went on cleanly and easily and I did not find that it would come off on contact once the stove was light after a polish. I figured the high temp paint would be messier.

And should you need to get something off the soapstone, like if you spilled something on the top, use #0000 steel wool.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I should have asked about paint when I asked about the cat and gaskets for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.