Best way to clear a path into the wood lot ????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd carefully scout potential routes and pick one tht requires the least disturbance. I would avoid moving any dirt, and cut as few bushes and saplings as possible. If you leave behind walking trails, that may be considered a benefit to the neighbor, but leaving behind muddy scars, piles of cut brush, etc. would be a poor way to repay the neighbor for letting you cut firewood. Even if the neighbor says he doesn't mind you making trails, I wouldn't assume that means you should tear up the ground. For the most part, if you don't scrape up the soil too much, cutting shrubs and small trees has little impact on the forest. and in a few years you won't be able to tell where the trails were, unless you keep using them.

A true spacing/clearing saw is not like your Ryobi. Considerably more powerful. Bike style bars are a must. If you dont have them on your Ryobi, I would NOT use any sharpened metal blades.
The Ryobi is intended to use a brush blade cuz it came with one

I'd carefully scout potential routes and pick one tht requires the least disturbance. I would avoid moving any dirt, and cut as few bushes and saplings as possible. If you leave behind walking trails, that may be considered a benefit to the neighbor, but leaving behind muddy scars, piles of cut brush, etc. would be a poor way to repay the neighbor for letting you cut firewood. Even if the neighbor says he doesn't mind you making trails, I wouldn't assume that means you should tear up the ground. For the most part, if you don't scrape up the soil too much, cutting shrubs and small trees has little impact on the forest. and in a few years you won't be able to tell where the trails were, unless you keep using them.
I have no intention of tearing up the ground and if I did I would fix it.

Well, it's a 2 acre lot. A chainsaw and a machete should have you across that sucker in no time. The hardest part will be getting rid of the brush since you won't be able to just throw it out of the way. I'd probably make a small side trail (or two) that splits off and extends a little ways off your main trail. Drag the brush into the side trail and pile it up there. It'll be a nice spot for wildlife and will get it out of your way. Wear thick clothing and good gloves. Should only take a couple hours. I would personally skip using your tractor, or multiple power tools. Sometimes things are faster and easier if you just keep it simple.
Well I think I will end up taking the chipper out there to deal with the brush

A chipper would be handy and then just leave the chips on your trail.
After thinking about it , the chipper would be a good way to deal with the brush, and get it out of the way, I have to do something with it, and that would beat dragging it around.

A lot of good suggestions here thanks every one :)

The Ryobi is intended to use a brush blade cuz it came with one

Tri blade is for light brush/heavy grass. If your machine came with it, it is likely equipped with the partial bike bars. They are needed for leverage against kickback. Much of what is in your pics is too heavy for a triblade.

Tri blade is for light brush/heavy grass. If your machine came with it, it is likely equipped with the partial bike bars. They are needed for leverage against kickback. Much of what is in your pics is too heavy for a triblade.
I had a talk with the stihl dealer and here is a thread about the blades , Brush cutter blades, wing cutters, or fine tooth ???
It has a bike type handle bar but only one not two, and a strap I always use

The chisel tooth (circ saw) blade is not appropriate for your single handle Ryobi. Even considering the ryobi's low power, it can still give you a wicked kickback.Not only is it not safe, it is going to put premature wear on your machine.

I use a heavy duty levered lopper pruner for any saplings it will handle to keep a saw blade out of the dirt. Mine are around 50 years old and similar to these:
prunoff_big.jpg

also a pull stroke pruning saw

both also come in handy cutting branches off of trees, basically if it is too big for the loppers it is firewood

I cut branches into smallish pieces and spread them out on the forest floor to disintegrate naturally rather than chipping. A one inch pine branch is usually gone in two years. No piles of brush, With ground contact and being stepped on they disppear pretty quick. Not too small, life is short and I want to be making firewood.

heres something to think about....is there a preferred way that the land owner might want you to proceed? Just a thought...

cass

Don't disturb the soil, you will end up stuck sooner or later. Just cut everything off at ground level and go to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.