Best way to close off the chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I start to smell the chimney when the outside temp. is between 50*-55*, the installers used insulation to plug the flue where the damper used to be... I know what is causing this, but what are some ideas on what to use besides insulation to do this myself...

First of all, I would clean the flue. The warm moist air is going to make the slightest amount of buildup in there start to smell. After cleaning, if you are not going to burn anymore for the season, I would cut some sheet metal the same size as your flue and adhere it will some silicon. The important thing is not to forget about the closure when burning season returns. The sheet metal will completely seal the flue, no rain, birds or other critters, just don't forget about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.