Best way to cook Elk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhambi

Burning Hunk
Sep 10, 2010
UT
So my girls reminded me it's been too long since we cooked up some elk.

What's your favorite way to cook a nice tenderloin?

Here's the damage from the last time I did some... everybody else was out of town. ;lol

Elk w/ cracked pepper and fresh basil, garlic mashed potatoes and gravy, tomato, onion and jalapenos w/ balsamic vinegar w/ extra sharp cheddar... Great, now I'm hungry again.

2cohjeo.jpg

I never tried elk before. It looks good.

With whitetails, I like the simpler is better approach for tenderloin. Salt, pepper, garlic, a little olive oil- then onto a really hot grill for seared but medium rare.

The tough cuts get made into chili.

Looks great

Reactions: ScotO
Some of the venison I've done was marinated in olive oil and apple cider vinegar and other various spices, garlic salt pepper etc, then on the grill. The vinegar helps tenderize and marinade in general keeps it most and juicy. Mop it on on the grill a bit and it glazes nicely.

Reactions: ScotO
I love elk, mule deer, whitetail, and even cow and chicken over the wood fired pit........that's about the only way I'll eat it anymore!

For red meats, we marinate it in a worchestershire/garlic marinade for several hours up to a day, pound some Montreal steak seasoning on it, and then put it on the firepit over some wet applewood/white oak slivers. Best steaks we've ever had, hands down!

2013-05-05_14-12-15_979.jpg

Nice, I'm hungry too after looking at that.

Reactions: raybonz
I like to marinade in a mixture of liquid smoke and worchester sauce. Cut it into 1-2 inch chunks and wrap it in bacon and grill it till it is medium rare.

It is. Not sure about all them other things on that plate though. The taters.... well... ok. I did grow up in Maine so we had them almost every meal.... but that's it! Meat and potatoes. My Mom says, what about vegetables? I tell her, the Elk, Caribou, Moose, (whatever) ate them before I ate him... so that's my veggies :p

And there has to be some vegetables in beer too... right? ;)

I never tried elk before. It looks good.

Reactions: raybonz
It is. Not sure about all them other things on that plate though. The taters.... well... ok. I did grow up in Maine so we had them almost every meal.... but that's it! Meat and potatoes. My Mom says, what about vegetables? I tell her, the Elk, Caribou, Moose, (whatever) ate them before I ate him... so that's my veggies :p

And there has to be some vegetables in beer too... right? ;)

I grew up in New England too. I didn't know pasta until I went to college. Meals revovled around potatoes.

I grew up in New England too. I didn't know pasta until I went to college. Meals revovled around potatoes.
lol! They STILL revolve around potatoes at my house....baked, mashed, scalloped, fried, etc! Heck, we usually have a vegetable AND potatoes........but, that said, I could live on nothing but steak and bacon for the rest of my life (with a diet like that, it wouldn't be a very long life, either!!)

Never cooked elk, but I've cooked a lot of whitetail. I usually with brush them real good with a mixture of olive oil and soy sauce, then sprinkle with some steak seasoning, cajun seasoning, or whatever sounds good at the time.

If I'm cooking outdoors I'll fire up my little weber and burn a mix of hickory chunks and apple sticks down to coals...rake all the coals to one side so it's screaming hot and sear each side for about 60-90 seconds...then move them over to the other side and cover for another 2,3,4 minutes depending on how you like them.

If I'm cooking indoors, I'll get the cast iron skillet as hot as I can get it, sear the same way, then pop the skillet in a 350 over for a few minutes to finish them out.

Have an elk loin marinating now, best marinade I've ever had is Game Tame. I'm notmusuallynone to buy a marinade, I would much rather make one as they are usually better but this stuff rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.