Best way to cut gasket material

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddahlgren

Minister of Fire
Apr 18, 2011
SE CT
I have to change the gasket for the door and window. What is the best way to cut the gasket material? 3/8 for the glass and 7/8 for the door. What to use to connect the ends? Stove gasket cement High temp RTV?

I've found that EXTREMELY sharp scissors work the best for cutting gasket material. As far as the ends go, I don't bother with connecting them. I just butt them together, & I always leave the butt joint midway between the hinge posts. Others will start/end in a door corner, but I've had better results between the hinges. Don't cut your gasket to length UNTIL you've got it anchored in the adhesive nearly all the way around. The LAST thing you want is it to end up too short. Better to be a tad over length.

My current stoves appear to use high temp RTV. Black stuff.

we use rtv but furnace cement will work to. and we do the same as daksy accept I put the seam midway in the bottom no real reason just that's where I put it but never at corner. I like to use red silicone so it is easier to see if any oozes out you don't want to glue your door shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.