Best way to drain lines from OWB to the house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2009
Central Indiana
I'm losing too much heat from the OWB to the house. I need to replace the pipes someday, but it's not going to happen before this season starts. It's over 100' so to do it right, it's $$$$.

I will use it to heat the garage, as it's very close to the OWB. But for this year, I won't heat the house with it.

So, how do I get most of the water out? I can disconnect the lines at the boiler and in the basement, but there may be a sag in the lines that traps some of the water. I thought about a shopvac either pushing or pulling? Should I pour some anti freeze in as insurance?

It is all water now. no chemicals.

Thanks!

If it were me I would use an air compressor.

Disconnect the lines at the boiler and put a quick connect on the end in the house. Use the qucik connect to attach the compressor hose to the house side. Use fully charged compressor to push water out of the lines.

Last edited:
Air, if you have enough volume would do it, just like blowing out lawn sprinklers. If not a few gallons of RV antifreeze would be cheap insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.