best way to haul wood from woods??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a close up of my avitar. It is a Farmi winch and it works fantastic. Perfect for a farm tractor with a three point hitch

Attachments

• picture 266 (2).jpg
    picture 266 (2).jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 628
Lucky guys with your tractors.

i miss the farm. sometimes i wonder why i went a different route. Then I see that its snowing outside and dad has about 100 acres of corn left in the field and will likely be working some more 5am-2am days in the upcoming week.

still, though, I miss the tractors. Even miss the old 3020 in a snowstorm with it's half-@$$ed "cab" and the plow on the three point hitch. Why is it that we plowed snow with that for years THEN when I left for college dad shows up with the dodge and western plow on the front? he also decided that the 42" deck on the mower wouldn't cut it and he got the 8ftish Bat wing type diesel mower. funny how his opinion of the old mower changed when he had to do the mowing.

Instead I'm stuck living in the city, trying my best to build a "barn" to store my two John Deere mowers. Only get to drive my '48 Model B when I'm back at the farm, and racking my brain for hours trying to find a spot for 400sq feet of garden in the spring.

Oh well, at least the pay is steady, the benefits are good, and I can drive the equipment when I WANT to, not because I have to.

Danno77 said:
i miss the farm. sometimes i wonder why i went a different route. Then I see that its snowing outside and dad has about 100 acres of corn left in the field and will likely be working some more 5am-2am days in the upcoming week.
Oh well, at least the pay is steady, the benefits are good, and I can drive the equipment when I WANT to, not because I have to.

I use to farm with draft horses and with one cast on my ankle and another on my wrist,
took six months one winter to pick four acres of corn.
If I still had the physical capablity, I'd be in the woods now with a team.
You're correct, I have neither steady pay or benefits but it's all a give and take.

KC, you'd appreciate this, then. Its a picture taken in 1938 of ALL of the power on the farm. Pictured are my Great, Great Uncle Clarence and I think that's his dad up on the wagon. The tractor in that picture was new to him and I think that's why he had it taken. Probably a new car, too. This is my parent's farm now, so still in the family. I think people get used to seeing regular run of the mill riding and racing horses and don't really know what a healthy farmin' horse looks like. puts "horsepower" into a new perspective, IMO. Kinda like how a Kenyan Marathon runner is strong in their own right, but you'd rather have Andre the Giant on your side in a wrestling match.

Attachments

• coferhouse1938Large.jpg
    coferhouse1938Large.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 533
Danno77 said:
KC, you'd appreciate this, then. Its a picture taken in 1938 of ALL of the power on the farm. Pictured are my Great, Great Uncle Clarence and I think that's his dad up on the wagon. The tractor in that picture was new to him and I think that's why he had it taken. Probably a new car, too. This is my parent's farm now, so still in the family. I think people get used to seeing regular run of the mill riding and racing horses and don't really know what a healthy farmin' horse looks like. puts "horsepower" into a new perspective, IMO. Kinda like how a Kenyan Marathon runner is strong in their own right, but you'd rather have Andre the Giant on your side in a wrestling match.

Great picture, thanks for sharing it.

Neat picture, thanks. That tractor probably had good traction in the snow and ice ;-)

When my wife was 4-5 years old, she would take her grandpa's mules to the creek to water them at lunch time.

Back in the 1930's my great grandfather drove my grandpa's new tractor right through the line fence pulling back on the steering wheel and yelling whoa, whoa the whole way.

Chargerman said:
Back in the 1930's my great grandfather drove my grandpa's new tractor right through the line fence pulling back on the steering wheel and yelling whoa, whoa the whole way.

ROFL! Good one!

I've got to say this is a problem that takes most of my time. Getting the logs out of the woods (for me) is 50-75% of the work. I've got a 400' driveway and wood on each side. I've been trying to get my hands on a winch, so I can pull logs/wood out of the woods to the back of the truck for bucking, then toss them in the truck and over to the wood pile. I've been warned, however, that electric winches can't handle the real weight. I'm not going to work it more than a 40 hours a year, but the name of the wood game is to save money and $1200 buys almost 1/2 year's oil.

btuser said:
I've been warned, however, that electric winches can't handle the real weight.

That hasn't been my experience with my cheapo 8K HF winch. I did full size maples up and over a 50 ft bank last winter with it. However, they aren't real fast and if the tree gets hung up on something you are going to have to go and deal with it as opposed to the logging winches where the tree will "jump" and keep coming.

SolarAndWood said:
btuser said:
That hasn't been my experience with my cheapo 8K HF winch. I did full size maples up and over a 50 ft bank last winter with it. However, they aren't real fast and if the tree gets hung up on something you are going to have to go and deal with it as opposed to the logging winches where the tree will "jump" and keep coming.

Well, I guess seeing how its going to be mounted to my truck, there's no sense in being able to pull my truck into the woods when the tree hangs up!

quads said:
MofoG23 said:
Ken45 said:
For those of you using trailers with your 4wheelers, you might want to check your owner's manual regarding the allowable hitch weight. For example, my Honda Foreman (432 cc) has the following trailer limitations:

tongue weight: 30 pounds!
tow weight limit (trailer and cargo): 850 pounds

Thirty pounds on the tongue isn't much. Now I know a lot of people exceed these limits, but when I look at how the hitch is mounted (on the rear end), it's certainly something that I don't want to crack! I try to keep my cart balanced with very little weight on the hitch.

Even the allowable hitch weight on my Kubota RTV utility vehicle is pretty light.

Ken

That's why I'm going to use a 4 wheel trailer to keep the weight off the hitch and prevent the front of the ATV from lifting...
I've thought about using a 4 wheel trailer, and I have access to small gravity box running gear etc., but the trouble with that in the woods is when you get into a tight spot and need to back up, you're in trouble.

Really, with a 2 wheel trailer that is balanced pretty good and loaded sensibly, there isn't too much to worry about. Especially if you're only hauling firewood and not lawyers who write owner's manuals.

+2 my trailer is well balanced,full load 1500# and i can pull the pin and lift off. The atv is rated for 1500# as is the trailer.

kenny chaos said:
Danno77 said:

Great picture, thanks for sharing it.

Here's a magazine promo on you-tube where I have my two seconds of fame.
It's a blurry still photo from about ten years ago.
That's me at 1:56 riding the grain drill behind the white percherons.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1KFcbI6lzM&feature=player_embedded

This is you? lol, barely 2s of fame KC....

Attachments

• Kenny Chaos.jpg
    Kenny Chaos.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 326
14 minutes 58 seconds to go, KC. you better get a move on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.