best way to put the pipe through the roof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noelmichele

May 6, 2008
boston
We are about to install our Jotul 3CB into our living room, which has a high pitched roof (no attic). We want to use double
walled (Selkirk) pipe. What's the best way to pass through the roof? Is a support box the best way to go? are there other options?

thanks

When the stove is exactly where you want it, check for joists so you will not need to cut through any as the chimney goes up. Shifting the stoves location a few inches can make cutting the holes or running the chimney pipe much easier. A trick I learned when cutting the roof hole was to use a level on the chimney in vertical position (plumb) and mark the roof from the inside. It is an oval marked for the cutout. Depending on clearance requirement, you may be able to use the outside of the level to mark the hole and have a two inch clearance.

Thanks for the two replies. however, I still have some questions about how exactly to go through the roof. With the cathedral ceilings, all of this will be exposed. Plus I imagine that there has to be some special fitting that prevents the stove pipe/chimmney from coming to close to the combustable parts of the roof. The pitch is fairly steep where it needs to go through the roof. What are my options?

I'm currently putting a Selkirk chimney system through the pitched cathedral roof of my cabin. My install is easier than yours since my cabin is unfinished so I have no sheetrock to cut away but, other than that, my install is very similar to yours.

I ordered a Selkirk Supervent cathedral ceiling support kit from Lowes (an item they don't typically stock) for about $135. The kit contains the support box, which you trim to the pitch of your roof, then nail to framing which is nailed to the rafters (the support box is 12x12 so some framing is required to install it between 16 inch o.c. rafters). The support box then extends down zero to three inches below the ceiling, then the doublewall pipe extends several inches below the bottom of the support box. If installed correctly all necessary clearances are achieved.

You also must order the roof flashing, of which there are two models (6/12 pitch and lower, 6/12 pitch and higher). My cabin roof has a 6/12 pitch. The doublewall pipe itself is a stock item at Lowes.

I have all the parts, and am waiting for the rainy season to end to actually do the install. The instructions that come with the kit (and are also available on the Selkirk website) seem pretty straight forward, so I can't wait to get it done and get ready for some cabin-heat this fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.