Best way to refinish a Fisher?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sebois

Oct 19, 2010
Maine
I'm replacing my Fisher Mama Bear with a newer stove, but we will still be using it in the basement of our home.

In the past I have just given it a medium-weight surface sanding with paper and used a steel brush (mounted on my drill) on the door, but I think this year I'd like to strip it and refinish from the base on up.

Any thoughts?

The paint in only peeling in a couple of small areas: the lower edge of the door and on a couple of spots on two legs. I've uncovered a tiny bit of rust on the top plate when I have refinished in the past. I've used the SB paint on it before - love that stuff and it lasts a couple of seasons with no issues.

If I decide to take it to bare/nearly bare metal, would a sander work or does it need a sandblasting?

If the paint isn't peeling, a sanding like you have done before and a couple coats of stove bright paint should do the trick.

Sand blasting is about the only way to get into all the nooks a crannys. It will also remove the rust (which sanding often does not get rid of completely.) Be aware that truly bare metal can start the rusting process within hours.

Reactions: fossil
Status
Not open for further replies.