Best way to route chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain

Jul 13, 2008
Central Ohio
I'm trying to figure out the best way to route my chimney. I plan to put the stove in the living room (see attached pic of my rough layout). The way I see it, I have two ways to do it: run it straight up from the stove through the ceiling and out the roof, or go up, angle it to the garage, which is on the other side of the wall I'm putting the stove on, and from there go straight out the roof. The garage does not have an attic above it and is fully open, and does have drywall for the walls. I do have blown in insulation above the living room. What would be the most economical way to do this? I'm on a budget and trying to do it as economical as possible (safely though). Also, what type of pipe would I need to do all of this, and how far above my roof does it need to be? Thanks.

Attachments

• Stove layout.bmp
    161.6 KB · Views: 288
Thanks Rick, very good article. So If I ran it out into the garage, couldn't I use regular stove pipe (or even interior double wall) until I reached the roof, then go to triple wall from there up?

Not through the wall between the living room and the garage. My vote would be straight up from the stove to daylight...the fewer changes of direction the better, both for draft and for ease of cleaning. I think it would also be the lower cost of your two options. I used single wall up from both my stoves, in the room, until it joins to the Class A chimney adapter at the ceilings. If clearance from combustibles is a problem you can use double wall. In any case, I think simpler is better. Rick

Yep a straight shot always flows better. Now would I need insulated pipe between the ceiling and the roof?

Of course. It's really at the ceiling where the transition from "stovepipe" to "chimney" takes place. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.