1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

best way to season Apple Wood?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Riggs, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Riggs

Riggs Member

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    so a neighbor of my parents has some apple trees that he wants removed...and asked if i was willing to cut for him..and that i could take all the wood i wanted...so of course my answer was YES :)
    i've never seasoned apple before...should i split right away or wait? don't want to screw this up as he's got 60 trees and that's A LOT of apple wood to dry out correctly...i'd hate myself if i ruined it in any way.

thanks,

riggs

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    CSS as usual and get it off the ground. Single rows will season faster but give it a year or more for best results.
  3. Riggs

Riggs Member

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    thanks again Bob...i was thinking i'd season this 2 years minimum before i burned it....things like this don't come along here very often so i'm excited to say the least. plus...it's free which is the icing on the cake!
  4. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Welcome to the club Riggs! (your name reminds me of Lethal Weapon)....
    Apple takes a long time (like oak) but it's a great wood for burning. Split it ASAP, stack it off the ground as any other wood. Just plan on it taking 2 to 3 years to be really primo....
    I have over a half cord of apple left, I keep it for cooking on the pit. It's been C/S/S for 4 years come April and it STILL has moisture in it (it's stacked behind the main stacks, out of the wind). I like it to smolder when cooking on it anyway...
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  5. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    I just posted a thread about apple never seems to season. I would split it small and expect to stack it in single rows for 3 yrs in the sun and wind.
    ScotO likes this.
  6. Riggs

Riggs Member

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    thanks for the advice Scotty, it's appreciated.

yes...i get the "lethal weapon" stuff all the time...people always ask me "where's Murtaugh?" they also like to ask me if i can really run that fast or if it's just the cameras :)
    tbuff and ScotO like this.
  7. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I like apple wood . . . sometimes it is a bit tough to split . .. sometimes a bit curvy . . . but it smells so good while processing, burns well, coals nicely and you can use it to smoke the meat. You might get by with a year of seasoning . . . two years will often be better.
  8. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I cut and split a partially dead apple tree last year. It was all twisted up and a royal pain to process, even with hydraulics. Most of it doesn't even resemble logs. I cut most of the branches into fist sized chunks and will save for the Big Green Egg.
  9. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    You're probably going to end up with a lot of rounds...seems like there's always more branch than trunk on an apple tree. Couple years and you'll have some good firewood.

Outdoor fire-pit....throw on some apple...couple cold barley pops...heaven right there.
  10. Bret Chase

Bret Chase Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine
    With any fruitwoods I end up with (I've got a bunch on the 3 year rehab plan)... I use them to cook with..... burgers cooked over apple.... OMFG!
  11. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    I have 2 that are coming down this year.

Can't wait to get it CSS, and try it.
  12. Bret Chase

Bret Chase Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine
    for heat... apple puts any oak... and locust to shame...