Best way to stack and cover woodpile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it depends on where you live. If you're in the snow belt where it stays below freezing all winter then you probably don't need to cover. If you're where I live, where we get into the 40's during the day, you better cover. The 6 inches of snow on the top of the pile doesn't blow off or sublime. It's wet and it melts and will soak the top of the wood pile.

If I burned right out of my stacks I would cover in late october, I move 4 cords to woodshed and 1 cord to covered back porch, life as a woodburner got better when I built the woodshed. And no I never cover the piles out seasonimg.
It rained here for 2 days, and today sunshine light breeze 90* the wood even on top is allready dry. So to cover (only tops) or not I don't think much matters until it's time to burn.
Every time I pull into my place I admire my woodstacks would't want to mess that up with a tarp.

:coolsmile: I would love to show you guys the wood I split and stacked. All the wood I split was by hand, well not litteraly with the help of my battleax... theres black walnut, sycamore A BEAR TO SPLIT found that out the hard way, maple, shagbark hickory, red oak, cottonwood and beech. I still need to split quit a bit. But I will be renting a mechanical spliter since there is quite a lot. Pics to come in the near future! There s just something about gathering, splitting and stacking wood that I just love its hard work but I like it. Well I guess just growing up with it tends to why I like it. I need to build a wood shed asap..........Enjoy this forum!!! Thanks Admin and to all who are responsible for it.

Chopernator said:
:coolsmile: I would love to show you guys the wood I split and stacked. All the wood I split was by hand, well not litteraly with the help of my battleax... theres black walnut, sycamore A BEAR TO SPLIT found that out the hard way, maple, shagbark hickory, red oak, cottonwood and beech. I still need to split quit a bit. But I will be renting a mechanical spliter since there is quite a lot. Pics to come in the near future! There s just something about gathering, splitting and stacking wood that I just love its hard work but I like it. Well I guess just growing up with it tends to why I like it. I need to build a wood shed asap..........Enjoy this forum!!! Thanks Admin and to all who are responsible for it.

Well, well, Chops, welcome to the forum. enjoy !!

Shawn

Chopernator said:

Welcome to the forum.

Chopernator, Welcome; We would love to see the pictures

velvetfoot said:
I'm pretty sure the push broom wouldn't work on the 22" snowfall we had this past winter.

It works for me when we get that much. It just takes a little longer. You can't expect to move it all at once.

Forrest

fsr4538 said:
velvetfoot said:
I'm pretty sure the push broom wouldn't work on the 22" snowfall we had this past winter.

It works for me when we get that much. It just takes a little longer. You can't expect to move it all at once.

Forrest

Precisely. Plus it works if you step back a little & pull the broom instead of pushing it,less effort that way.

Chopernator said:

Welcome to the forum. Should you encounter any problems posting pictures, send me a PM and I'll help if at all possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.