Best Way to Strip Thermopex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JMann

Jun 27, 2008
Southern PA
Does anyone have a good technique for stripping Thermopex? This stuff is RIGID! I'm getting to that phase, and don't want to reinvent the wheel (or sustain an injury) if I don't have to.

I just cut the shell where I want the pex exposed ( around the outside just the plastic) then I cut the shell plastic length wise. Then it was reasonably easy to "peel" the plastic shell back. Some visegrips worked well to get a good grip on it.
To get the insulation of you could use a breadknife to cut it off in slices.

Again not sure if this is the best way, but it worked for me.

Have fun.

I did the same as hogstroker cut around and then lengthwise, peel with visegrips shave the rest with a knife. I am hoping to fire my chappee boiler this afternoon. 80 feet of thermopex 1 inch 6 feet under. I left about 3 feet sticking up in the barn which I peeled back about 24 inches to make a long sweep down into the trench. the other end comes out by my oil boiler about 24 inches away. every thing in the barn is done, the oil boiler is draining right now, then I will cut in and hookup, refill and check for leaks. I buried a one inch pex duct taped to the bottom of the thermopex for a water supply in the outbuilding for feeding the boiler and hose cock. I saw the posts about feeding the wood boiler from the oil boiler, but I wanted a sink out in the shop as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.