Best way to trim logs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
Just purchased some wood; need 17" max, much of it is 18-22". What would be the easiest way to get 'em to the right length? I wouldn't mind a bunch of 3-4" pieces to help pack the stove. Maybe pack a few in a milk crate or build a box out of 2x4's and nail it to a table or something? Then I could cut a bunch at a time...

chop saw..

Use a pallet with gaps between boards. Lay the log on the gap with your foot on it and trim with chain saw. This will keep it off the ground and keep it from rolling.

nola mike said:
Just purchased some wood; need 17" max, much of it is 18-22". What would be the easiest way to get 'em to the right length? I wouldn't mind a bunch of 3-4" pieces to help pack the stove. Maybe pack a few in a milk crate or build a box out of 2x4's and nail it to a table or something? Then I could cut a bunch at a time...

This works real good.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0358.jpg
    100_0358.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 280
  • 100_0359.jpg
    100_0359.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 307
zapny said:
nola mike said:

This works real good.

zap

That's exactly what I had in mind.

Zap's idea is great. That's what I did thanks to his advice on a similar thread I started a few months ago. I had to cut a bunch down to fit NS so I used a modified version of his method.

For some I just wrapped a bungee around a bunch of splits. Placed them on a block and cut them all at once at my desired length. I cut a little over 1/3 a cord in 30 minutes using a method that was very similar to Zap's situation. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.