best way to use a UPS?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
So I have a Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD as my backup power source for my Enviro M55 Cast Iron Insert. Last winter I was fortunate in that we did not have any power failure...at least while using the stove. Also, we only run the stove when we are at home...we leave the house, we shut off the stove. When the house temp drops way down....the oil heat kicks in. But back to the UPS, say the power goes out and everything shuts off, EXCEPT the stove which would keep right on chugging because it is connected to the UPS and was not affected by the outsge. The UPS specs would indicate that it would only have enough backup power to run the stove in normal mode for maybe 2-3 minutes.......correct? HOWEVER...If the power went out, we would quickly go to the stove and basically hit the off button and allow the stove to go into the shutdown cycle and probably have enough power for about 10 minutes of venting! Does this seem about right? This is also why I installed an OAK...to make sure that I had no smoke filling the house in the event of a power failure. Bill

You should have way more time than that....I have the 1350...I get at least 20 minutes....closer 30...plenty of time to hook it up to a good generator or complete shut down
Every stove has different power draws. It may run that long, it may not.

My guess is that the 10 minute figure is probably about right, but why not do a test? Fire the stove up and then unplug the UPS.....then you'll know for sure.

Reactions: bostonfan49
The ups will give you an estimated run time based on the output....when the stove is running check it out. Like Imac said it depends on draw....but since you have the bigger ups you should be in good shape.

This is why I prefer the 12 volt system that is on the Paromax stoves. In a power loss I get about 5 hours of non stop burning off the battery that comes with the stove. If I hook a car battery up to the system I can get close to 24 hours of burning without grid power. The stove monitors battery life as well so when the battery life gets down to about a hour or so, it puts the stove into shut down mode so we never get smoke in the house. The battery trickle charges while the stove is running.

This is why I prefer the 12 volt system that is on the Paromax stoves. In a power loss I get about 5 hours of non stop burning off the battery that comes with the stove. If I hook a car battery up to the system I can get close to 24 hours of burning without grid power. The stove monitors battery life as well so when the battery life gets down to about a hour or so, it puts the stove into shut down mode so we never get smoke in the house. The battery trickle charges while the stove is running.
*************thanks all! I like the idea of the 12 volt system but I don't think it's an option with the M55...oh well, can't wait for my bulk delivery! Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.