1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Best way to utilize the Selkirk Vacuum Cleanout?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Don2222, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

Granted, this does not take the place of the normal stove cleaning.

Since we just installed the vacuum cleanouts, I was wondering what might the best way to use it?

1st I put some TFE paste on the one end of the nipple that I will never take apart.

Then I unscrewed the cap and put the shop vac on the nipple.
    My shop vac hose is larger than the pipe. Is there a good way to make it an air tight fit?

After cleaning the ash out of the venting, I put the 150 PSI compressor hose in the air intake of the stove.

Got some more ash. How about putting the compressor in the ash chambers too?

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    What is the OD of the nipple & the ID of the shop vac hose, Don? Seems to me you can get a small length of correctly sized tubing & run it from the ID of the vac line to the OD of the nipple, OR
    sacrifice that particular shop vac hose & securely GLUE a PVC connector to the hose with the identical pipe thread & connect to the BIP with a properly sized union...
  3. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    Perhaps use one of those black rubber fittings that are usage on drainage piping. I use one on the linteater shop vac adapter because my shop vac hose is smaller than the adapter connection.
  4. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Pipe nipple diameter is 1-1/4 inches and shop vac hose is 1-1/2 inches. Thanks I will try something like that.
  5. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Do you use an air compressor? In your case, to blow the ash out of the chamber where the exhaust fan is, into the shop vac connected to the vacuum cleanout?
  6. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    No. I take the exhaust fan impeller off the shaft and use a paintbrush to loosen up the ash and then the shop vac to remove the loose ash.

For the exhaust path from the fan to the venting I use the 2" brush that came with the linteater set and the shop vac at the same time.
  7. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    That's cool, so all the dust that the brush brushes out goes thru the vacuum cleanout into the shop vac! That is neat!

I just worked on a Harman Advanced today. I took out the fire brick and panels out and after wire brushing and cleaning them well, I coated both sides with Dry Moly. Looks nice and with the smoother surface, it should perform better too!
  8. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

I also had a problem attaching the Vacuum Cleanout to the garage stove.

The vacuum cleanout needs a longer screw and it is very hard to drill a hole in it. So I put it in and used a drill bit instead of self tappers. I made 2 holes one on each side to support the heavier piece. Then screwed it in and it holds very well now and I can still easily remove it.

Attached Files:

9. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

I also read that turning the exhaust blower on while the vacuum cleanout is still hooked up will catch any ash dislodeged while cleaning the stove!