Best Wood Burning Fireplace....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Myk420

Nov 15, 2007
Hey guys, im new to the forums. I am planning on getting a fireplace for my house and I am not sure which fireplace i want to go with. My house is aproximely 2500sq ft. it is pretty open with not a lot of doors on the first floor, and the second floor also has a big opening to the stairs without any doors. The room i want to intall in has high ceilings (12ft) and that room is pretty big itself. Also i live in CT, so it is pretty cold in winter usually. and my house is located on a somewhat of a hill.
I was interested in Extrordinair Elite 44'' or 36" and Delta2 from RSF. Also i was interested in Quadrafire 7100, and Napoleon 6000nz (i think). so these are the styles that i like. but i cant decide on which to get. i also heard good things about Opel from RSF, but i think its too small for the room and wouldnt look proportional with the room.

Do you guys have any suggestions/recommendations? maybe some other fireplaces that i can also look into besides the ones i mentioned.
any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Best one is mine. It has an 18 year old Appalachian insert in it with a current Temp of 600 degrees.

Well I know the Quad unit works great, and Quad has great support. I would try to pick one based on what design you like, and extra features. Also pick your dealer as well, you might not think you would need dealer support with a wood unit but if something does go wrong you will want a dependable dealer that will take care of you.

The important thing is to make sure that whatever unit you get, make sure that it is EPA certified as a clean burning, and HEATING appliance - make sure it is certified as such, and not just "Tested to EPA standards" - this is a rather deceptive line that is sometimes used, it was tested, but that doesn't mean it passed....

Otherwise the major brands are all pretty good quality, so I would look for the firebox size and other features you like, followed by the look you want, and a dealer you feel comfortable with.

Gooserider

I am partial to the RSF Opel.

Not many people know much about it-- but it is well made and has great options for heat distribution, and has a good sized firebox

adkdadto4 said:
I am partial to the RSF Opel.

Not many people know much abotu it-- but it is well made and has great options for heat disctribution, and has a good siezed firebox

Can you provide more information/experience regarding the RSF Opel... I'm looking into options for 2400sq.ft. new home construction.

Thanks,
lumbajac

Well,well,well, why not the enviro kodiak? Boy,oh,boy, I have been sleeping,just discovered this nice piece of steel,. 5/16 steel, better than most. It will be my choice for sure. Was at the factory today, very impressive, only 50 klicks away, and ya can see they spent the bucks to do it right. Just total quality control. Nothing gets out of that place with out being tested and double tested. I was impressed!

I do think that BB gave them a thought at one time? (ya know the guyl with 5000+ posts) something not right with the dealership though. For me at least, awesome, they build them only 50 klicks away. And what mighty beasts they are, and huge,huge viewing window. totally awesome!

Off topic} why was I down there looking, chit, cause I have to move my daughter once again, this time back home. and it gets worse, probably in the next month or two, back again to the damn city. :blank: why am I being punished like this?? getting too old for this chit!!

I'd go with the RSF also. It is a wonderful burner, you will be completely happy with it

There are a few good units like the RSF out there.. I did some exhaustive research( maybe too much :), and for us it was the best fit.
It has one of the largest fireboxes in the class, weighs the most( heavy gauge steel throughout) Good firebrick. The installation options were a tad bit more flexible than some. And the options for facing the rock with brick were better than some others we looked at too.

if I had a small room I might lok at the kozyheat models, but we had a big room and wanted a well sized well made unit...thinking long term on the investment...

A very good company behind it. Not that well known, but a well thought out appliance

They are all good as long as the wood is dry. I think you will get a million answers. I have a hampton which is made by regency. Great stove with a terrible company backing it up. Poor dealer network in my area and even worse customer service. Others I looked at are quad, osborn, jotul. Just stay away from the big box stores if you want something that is serviceable. Someone my come along and prove me wrong but I made my decision 2 years ago and that was enough looking for me. Just oversize what you think you will need. Get at least a 2.3cu ft firebox if you want to burn overnight...lite it and forgetaboutit!!!!

Where theres an insert there is usually a stove. Same technology, slightly different box. Thats the whole point. They are all pretty much the same. I installed a lenox in my brothers home. Really the same thing as my Hampton. Get one with a good dealer presense and hope for the best. In this day and age you can pick the best one but if the parent company can't make money they won't be around to parts anyways. Just pick one with a larger firebox and simple controls and you should be fine.

yes but... most inserts have higher clearances to combustables than you would with a v zero-clearance unit..
also many C units have ducting so that you heat centrally like a furnace, and face the front in rock so they look like a fireplace( but heat like a wood stove efficiency wise..) so in fact they are quite a bit different than inserts..many inserts are basically stoves that are tweaked to work in a fireplace enclosure.. which fit a real need out there-- but for people without an already existing fireplace-- a ZC unit is quite a different animal as far as installation options go..And there are many models and brands that are quite different form their stove cousins...

there are indeed great units for both needs, but there are decidedly different needs.

I might have been confused about the topic-- I thought it was about the ZC type models.. but I read it quick - I was probably wrong...

adkdadto4 said:
yes but... most inserts have higher clearances to combustables than you would with a v zero-clearance unit..
also many C units have ducting so that you heat centrally like a furnace, and face the front in rock so they look like a fireplace( but heat like a wood stove efficiency wise..) so in fact they are quite a bit different than inserts..many inserts are basically stoves that are tweaked to work in a fireplace enclosure.. which fit a real need out there-- but for people without an already existing fireplace-- a ZC unit is quite a different animal as far as installation options go..And there are many models and brands that are quite different form their stove cousins...

there are indeed great units for both needs, but there are decidedly different needs.

I might have been confused about the topic-- I thought it was about the ZC type models.. but I read it quick - I was probably wrong...

Nope... you are correct from where I chimed a few posts ago. I am looking for the "best" zero clearance model that can also pipe into central heating ductwork. I am looking for unit that can accomplish whole house heating 24/7, 6 months out of the year.

It looks like the RSF Opel2 will be one of my top three... a little more research to do and need to talk with my local dealer.

Thanks,
lumbajac

www.lennoxhearthproducts.com

for Montecito Estate, Montecito, Panorama, Villa something, etc.

Can also reach Security Chimney Co website from Lennox to look at BIS clones of Lennox---Tradition, Tradition CE, etc.

Very nice units, all are noncatalytic except Panorama, all allow use of solidpack chimney.

The look at www.kozyheat.com for Z42. Another nice noncatalytic woodburner with decent fire viewing window area, and allows use of solidpack chimney.

As to Napolean NZ6000, it is EPS "Exempt"----tricky, means it is not "high efficiency" I think. Not sure it has airtight sealed doors either.

The RSF Opel I think is only EPA certified if you get the catalytic model. They sell it both ways, cat and non-cat. Depending on the state or local you are in, the noncat may not be an approved model for install or use during burning restriction periods by the smoke-police. If you get the cat model, I forget what the tradeoffs are for the cat operation, besides extra cost and maintenance.

I would say-- that in my opinion.. if you intend to have this be your primary heat source-- you might be happier with a wood-furnace type arrangement witha furnace room with some nice wood storage rigth next to it than you would be with trying to heat froma living-room installed fireplace unit., They can certainly do it heat and ducting wise.. but they are deisgned ot be a comprimise in taht they lok relaly nice etc....

A wood furnace in a dedicated space would have additional benefits like a higher loading height and some of them have very large ash bins etc...

not to mention that there would be less tracking back and forth across your living room with wood...)

Like I said earlier, I put in a 55000 btu lenox unit in a newer home. That has ducts that can be taken off to other rooms. They also have larger units. If I were building a newer home that is the way I would go. And yes you can easily heat a home with one of those. They can be ducted accross the home if needed. I think there is one called a BIS for built in stove.

Yes- You should look at the BIS line( ultima, ultra, panorama...) and teh Kozyheat models too. I also looked at american energies unit and teh fireplace extroidinaire in minute details....I liked the larger sizes for my specific install.... The fireplace extroidinaire models are of good size, but I didn't like the air cooled chimney arrangement nor did I like the forced positive pressure that pulls in outside air into your home ... at any cfm whatsoever- this si just a bad idea to be purposefully heating outside air, any air you pulling-- means the same amount escapes your house somewhere.. forcing cracks in your house just like forced negative pressure would... I am an engineer- and this was not my preference...

Pay close attention to the specifics of installation as they migth prove to be a "gotcha" in there if you are nto careful-- they lall have slight differences with ducting and rock facing that might make one better or worse for your specific install.

I'd also keep in mind firebox size if you expect to use this as much as you mentioned... the kozyheat and BIS modesl are nice, but I think most of them have somewhat smaller fireboxes than teh larger RSF , american energies unit, and Fireplace Extroidinaire does...

FYI-- picture of my RSF unit

adkdadto4 said:
Yes- You should look at the BIS line( ultima, ultra, panorama...) and teh Kozyheat models too. I also looked at american energies unit and teh fireplace extroidinaire in minute details....I liked the larger sizes for my specific install.... The fireplace extroidinaire models are of good size, but I didn't like the air cooled chimney arrangement nor did I like the forced positive pressure that pulls in outside air into your home ... at any cfm whatsoever- this si just a bad idea to be purposefully heating outside air, any air you pulling-- means the same amount escapes your house somewhere.. forcing cracks in your house just like forced negative pressure would... I am an engineer- and this was not my preference...

Pay close attention to the specifics of installation as they migth prove to be a "gotcha" in there if you are nto careful-- they lall have slight differences with ducting and rock facing that might make one better or worse for your specific install.

I'd also keep in mind firebox size if you expect to use this as much as you mentioned... the kozyheat and BIS modesl are nice, but I think most of them have somewhat smaller fireboxes than teh larger RSF , american energies unit, and Fireplace Extroidinaire does...

FYI-- picture of my RSF unit

I've been looking into them more and am liking the Quadrfire 7100 and the RSF Opel2 given that I intend to heat my whole home with this and plan to incorporate ductwork to my central heating system. Additionally, there are local dealers within 100 miles that carry each so service would be avaialable if problems arise. I like that the Quad 7100 uses secondary combustion and is EPA certified. I dislike that the RSF Opel2 in that it is a catalytic unit to be EPA certified (can also be run non-cat, but then is non-EPA cert.). However, another major point is that it looks like the RSF Opel2 is quite a bit less in cost than the Quad 7100. I am also hearing that the Quad 7100 can eat through a lot of wood... which is okay, but I would like to get the most heat out of the least amount of fuel possible. It sounds like the RSF Opel2 is a little more efficient in terms of amount of wood burned. Lastly, I don't want to get heated out of my home... some are saying that the Quad 7100 really kicks out a lot of heat. This is good given that I want to heat primarily with wood... but then again, I am going to insulate my house well and use the best windows with low-E that I can afford. So, I'll have a tight house that shouldn't transfer too much heat out. The Quad 7100 claims up to a 14 hour burn time, which would be nice, but I will be working right across the street and can be out and back home in 8 hours so a 14 hour burn is not really critical. Again though, I like the idea of using the catalytic option with the RSF so that I could have slow burns and combust the smoke up as well. However, lots of negatives out there regarding catalytics, I don't really want to spend the money on replacement cats, and the price of metals are skyrocketing so I can see the same happening with cat replacements.

Any thoughts, please add if so. Anybody using the RSF with the catalytic option?

Thanks,
lumbajac

I do not think the quad was an option when we looked several years ago.

I see two connection pipes on the right side of the unit-- does it pull outside air in for convection like the fireplace extroidinaior units do?
If so make sure you understand how taht works and you do indeed wnat that...

The rsf unit looks very similiar to what I was talking about. If I had a choice I would go with a larger unit and 1 door vs the 2. Less gasket to let loose. Nice looking set up btw Adkdadto4. Looks almost identical to my brothers.

adkdadto4 said:
I do not think the quad was an option when we looked several years ago.

I see two connection pipes on the right side of the unit-- does it pull outside air in for convection like the fireplace extroidinaior units do?
If so make sure you understand how taht works and you do indeed wnat that...

The way I interpret it, the Quad can use outside or inside air in for convection. If you look at the downloadable brochure for the Quad 7100fp at their website, last page, you can choose to draw air from another room via ducting or from outside. I would more than likely draw air from other rooms.

Are you using the catalytic option on your RSF Opel?

Thanks,
lumbajac

NO I did not opt for it.

I seem to get secondary combustion without it. and my chimney pretty much never looks like there is a fire going unless i am just starting a new fire...

EPA tests are deisgned for small stoves.. so you ahve to rellay lok at efficiency and design more than just EPA>..

the EPA relaly needs ot get a test designed for larger stoves...

adkdadto4 said:
NO I did not opt for it.

I seem to get secondary combustion without it. and my chimney pretty much never looks like there is a fire going unless i am just starting a new fire...

EPA tests are deisgned for small stoves.. so you ahve to rellay lok at efficiency and design more than just EPA>..

the EPA relaly needs ot get a test designed for larger stoves...

Do you know (or anyone else) if you can add the secondary catalytic device later to the RSF Opel if you end up wanting to do so, or remove it at a later time? Two reasons I ask this... I may need to add it if EPA certification were ever to be required in my town, although I would think it would be grandfathered in if such a thing happened though. Or, I may opt to start off with the catalytic option and then decide not to replace the catalytic converter when needed and remove the option if the price of metal skyrockets beyond reality. I know I am over thinking this and looking at worse case scenarios to the nth degree, but I don't want to ever doubt my final decision.

Thanks,
lumbajac

Status
Not open for further replies.