1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Best wood find yet!!!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by michaelthomas, May 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michaelthomas

michaelthomas New Member

There is a guy down about 4 miles down the road who owns a trucking company and he hauls a-lot of lumber to the mills and the chippers. So he got a call for a job to pick up a load of saw logs but the guy who had them cut down said he didn't have time to cut the logs to length for the mill so he just needed the logs off the lot ASAP so construction could begin. The tree owner paid him to remove them and gave him the wood to do with as he pleased. So the trucking company owner has a full flatbed trailer full of wood and 3/4 of it is red oak and maple and the other 1/4 is pine. So he has had this wood sitting on one of his best trailers for what is now going on 5 weeks and he needs the trailer back for business. So I was able to go down and cut and haul as much FREE hardwood as I wanted. He and a few of his employees were cutting and splitting wood for him and I was helping out when needed but mostly just cutting up rounds to haul to my house. I was able to get about 4 cord of FREE firewood (hardwood) from the deal and the truck is still half full. He said they will be cutting next week as well. I tried to give him $50 to keep his beer fridge full but he wouldn't accept it. I have always looked at full flatbeds and wished I could have access to that much wood and it has now happened. fairly easy to manage as well you just cut the top logs and roll them to the ground and load, no lugging from the woods or anything. It was like a dream come true.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Last night I got this call where these people had some trees cut down. About 3 miles away.
    Do you want the wood? White & red oak and some maple. So I go over there,I bring one small chain saw,
    not know what to expect. Damn there nearly 3 full cords stacked up. But not cut up. Im able to pull my pk truck
    right up to the pile at tail gate level. One truck filled just before the thunderstorms approached.

Hey great deal for you, Take as much as you can it's money in the bank.
  3. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    you lucky skunk!!!

I've been searching high and low without much luck on big loads
  4. DavidV

DavidV New Member

Loc:
    Richmond VA
    We get spoiled here in central VA. So much downed wood finding free is very easy.
  5. ourhouse

ourhouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Norfolk Ma
    The wood you scored sounds like they were going to be saw logs. I bet a lot of it was clean and strait easy to split nto a lot nots. Very good score!!!
  6. saichele

saichele Minister of Fire

Got about a cord of hard maple over the weekend. Power comnay came through and leveled a couple large maples on a neighbors lot, and just left a pile of debris. I was out for a walk, stopped in to ask about it and they were somewhat distraught, in that they had no idea how they were going to get rid of it.

Problem solved.

Steve
  7. Sandor

Sandor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Deltaville,VA
    Ya gotta like it when everyone wins.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.