Best wood find yet!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
There is a guy down about 4 miles down the road who owns a trucking company and he hauls a-lot of lumber to the mills and the chippers. So he got a call for a job to pick up a load of saw logs but the guy who had them cut down said he didn't have time to cut the logs to length for the mill so he just needed the logs off the lot ASAP so construction could begin. The tree owner paid him to remove them and gave him the wood to do with as he pleased. So the trucking company owner has a full flatbed trailer full of wood and 3/4 of it is red oak and maple and the other 1/4 is pine. So he has had this wood sitting on one of his best trailers for what is now going on 5 weeks and he needs the trailer back for business. So I was able to go down and cut and haul as much FREE hardwood as I wanted. He and a few of his employees were cutting and splitting wood for him and I was helping out when needed but mostly just cutting up rounds to haul to my house. I was able to get about 4 cord of FREE firewood (hardwood) from the deal and the truck is still half full. He said they will be cutting next week as well. I tried to give him $50 to keep his beer fridge full but he wouldn't accept it. I have always looked at full flatbeds and wished I could have access to that much wood and it has now happened. fairly easy to manage as well you just cut the top logs and roll them to the ground and load, no lugging from the woods or anything. It was like a dream come true.

Last night I got this call where these people had some trees cut down. About 3 miles away.
Do you want the wood? White & red oak and some maple. So I go over there,I bring one small chain saw,
not know what to expect. Damn there nearly 3 full cords stacked up. But not cut up. Im able to pull my pk truck
right up to the pile at tail gate level. One truck filled just before the thunderstorms approached.

Hey great deal for you, Take as much as you can it's money in the bank.

We get spoiled here in central VA. So much downed wood finding free is very easy.

The wood you scored sounds like they were going to be saw logs. I bet a lot of it was clean and strait easy to split nto a lot nots. Very good score!!!

Got about a cord of hard maple over the weekend. Power comnay came through and leveled a couple large maples on a neighbors lot, and just left a pile of debris. I was out for a walk, stopped in to ask about it and they were somewhat distraught, in that they had no idea how they were going to get rid of it.

Problem solved.

Steve

Steve said:
Got about a cord of hard maple over the weekend. Power comnay came through and leveled a couple large maples on a neighbors lot, and just left a pile of debris. I was out for a walk, stopped in to ask about it and they were somewhat distraught, in that they had no idea how they were going to get rid of it.

Problem solved.

Steve

Ya gotta like it when everyone wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.