Best zero clearance wood burning fireplace under $1000 / $2000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeaEarlGreyHot

Dec 4, 2011
Long Island
Hi, I'm new to the scene. I have an old Glacier Bay CFS in the basement of the house we just bought. But the real issue is we want to put a high efficiency wood burning fireplace in our den. We would like to use it to supplement a 103,000 btu gas furnace we just had installed... But anyway, we want to know what is the best choice for a zero clearance wood burning fireplace under $1000.... And if the extra money is worth it, should we add a wood burning insert to increase the btu or just get a high efficiency unit? What about outdoor air kits and blowers? I head the outdoor air kits can be leaky... Any especially good brands? Anything I should avoid? Thanks for any and all help!

Is there a fireplace already in the den? If not you are looking around five thousand in the face to have a ZC and chimney installed.

Talk to some local dealers that both sell the units and also do installations.

I'm looking for a zero clearance fireplace unit around $1500, I understand the chimney, supports and other work will cost much more. I'm just looking for a good unit. THANKS.

I had an RSF Opel 3 installed just before Christmas. Still needs final plenum hookup and stonework but the initial quote was just over $11k. The unit itself is $3500.

Heat & Glo Northstar Is around $4K just for the firebox.
I think you're gonna be SOL trying to find something
both ZC & EPA rated in your price range, unless it's
already been used for awhile...

DAKSY said:
Heat & Glo Northstar Is around $4K just for the firebox.
I think you're gonna be SOL trying to find something
both ZC & EPA rated in your price range, unless it's
already been used for awhile...

What you're looking for doesnt exist and if if did I would run away as fast as I could from it. Better take that money and flush it down the toilet, you'll get more entertainment value out of it that way.

I'm being facetious, but sometimes it's better to hold on to your cash and buy something of quality that will last a long time. Remember this is a permanent installation and you dont want to rip it out a few years from now because it's not working properly.

A good value for your money is the Flame Monaco http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=jDL7TuX4CITh0QHgm-y_Ag&ved=0CF8QxBUwAA

2.5 cu ft, EPA washington state, vents on 6" chimney. You can put a programmable forced air kit and plug it in a thermostat to heat 2 rooms. But as others mentioned, venting and everything else will cost more than the unit itself.

Disclosure: we make it and support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.