Beta testing Woodstock's Ideal Steel Hybrid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamestead

Feeling the Heat
Nov 9, 2011
Windsor County, Vermont
Yesterday morning our Progress Hybrid went cold and was moved into a spare room to make way for a test version of the new Woodstock Ideal Steel Hybrid stove. My wife, of all people, signed us up as beta testers. We burn about 8 cord of wood each year, using wood as our primary heat source. In late January of 2012, thanks to this forum's suggestions, we lit up the Progress Hybrid (https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/progress-hybrid-install-pics.82465/). With no connections to anyone at Woodstock, other than being a customer, we feel pretty lucky to be a beta tester of this new stove (it should be a fun way to pass the winter evenings).

The PH is a good stove for us, in our big, drafty farm house (https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/wood-consumption-in-my-ph.95273/#post-1257855). We have a 6" liner, insulated, in an interior chimney, 32' tall. Quite the draft the past few days (7 degrees out right now). As I noted, we burn about 8 cord {edit... oops, hit the post button too soon. I'll follow up with some pic's.)

you are just a big tease...

edit: spoke to soon!

Last edited:
Here it comes... DSC04021.JPG

But first the PH needs to move - this is soooo much easier than when it came in...
DSC04024.JPG

DSC04031.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Get the delivery "truck" out of the way...
DSC04023.JPG

and if only we could reach all the way in!

DSC04026.JPG

More standing around watching for me. Looks like a top vent. Didn't we ask for a rear vent?!
DSC04034.JPG

Yup, it is a top vent. But they did that on purpose, for easier shipping (big whew!).
DSC04037.JPG

Venting in the right direction now. Note the taper down to 6". Also note the gasketed-on plate in the foreground {edit: on the backside}. This is a viewing port to the spring control for the additional as-needed cat air. {edit: fixed typo.}

DSC04039.JPG

Here's the side leg panels. My wife picked the colors and designs - I had a momentary moment of panic when I recalled a room she and my daughter chose colors for, but I think she hit it full-on with this combo.
DSC04038.JPG

I like those side panels

The stove looks better without the swimming lady. It's not a bad looking stove. If the got the gears off the top so it could be used for cooking...

A heat diffuser sits inside above the cat...

DSC04041.JPG

And here's the cat...
DSC04042.JPG

They took pity on me and did the burn-in at the factory, so much less new stove essence in our house. They also set it back further on the hearth than the PH (the PH is a side loader, and the Ideal Steel is a front loader, so we wanted a little more protection on the front). Because it moved back, and also because of the long tapered flue collar, they spent some time re-fashioning my tee. This is the only significant difference between the two setups - my Condar probe is now a bit closer to the stove.

DSC04044.JPG

I like those side panels

The stove looks better without the swimming lady. It's not a bad looking stove. If the got the gears off the top so it could be used for cooking...

Yes, it sounds like they will have lots of options to customize (and simplify). The gears sit flat on the stovetop and have an allen screw as a centering stud. The centerpiece has a cut-out beneath it to provide the highest heat setting for cooking purposes.

How big is the firebox?

18" from front andirons to back, 22" side to side (I think it is a 3.2 cu ft box, but don't hold me to that!)

My wood is cut at 20" for the PH, and it goes in quite easily, but I don't think I'd want to have it any longer. With the side loading of the PH it would be easier to go longer because you are sliding the wood in on top of the last piece.

Can't wait to see how it does the job. Have I ever mentioned that I love big honkin steel stoves?

Reactions: n3pro
Yeah if you are loading E/W ya want an inch or so on each end for the gases coming out of the ends of the splits to burn.

It wasn't their typical day, but the guys from Woodstock were great - made sure they had the stove set up as they thought it should be, showed me lots of its features, and patiently answered many questions. They didn't quite say "drive it like a rental", but they were clear that I wasn't to baby it. And we haven't. Still too early to give you a good feel for how it performs, but with this weather on the way, we are likely to gain some experience quickly...

{edit: botched attaching the NWS forecast, but the general idea is continued cold, with snow.}

Looking good.....

Since the forum is not currently set up for blogging (something we've thought about, but have not yet implemented), it may be useful for you to blog about the stove long term on a dedicated blog (lots of free ones at wordpress, blogger, etc.) and then post it in your signature here. That way you control the content and it doesn't get off-track, plus you don't have to duplicate your postings here and elsewhere...

Up to you, but that's how I would do it...because forum threads come and go fairly quickly.

Thanks for the detailed posting. We'll be watching for your first and following impressions.

Reactions: PapaDave
What a great gig! Can't wait to hear the updates.

That is definitely a sweet looking steel stove. If there are wolves, skulls, and chainsaws as decorative side plates I sooo want to get rid of my encore and get this bad boy regardless.... lol.

That is definitely a sweet looking steel stove. If there are wolves, skulls, and chainsaws as decorative side plates I sooo want to get rid of my encore and get this bad boy regardless.... lol.

That's awesome Flamestead ! Congrats ! Keep the updates coming,

Like nothing else on the market....way to go woodstock for being bold! Some of the welds look like mine, but hopefully they'll get that figured out.

Nice to see another big Cat stove on the market.

Looking good.....

Since the forum is not currently set up for blogging (something we've thought about, but have not yet implemented), it may be useful for you to blog about the stove long term on a dedicated blog (lots of free ones at wordpress, blogger, etc.) and then post it in your signature here. That way you control the content and it doesn't get off-track, plus you don't have to duplicate your postings here and elsewhere...

Up to you, but that's how I would do it...because forum threads come and go fairly quickly.

Thanks Webbie and Begreen - I've gained a lot from the forums here, and wanted to return some eye candy. When I first joined I was nearly certain I wanted one particular stove, but members here had a tepid reaction to my choice, so I started sorting through the many favored stoves and manufactures here. Since then I have yet to see any alocades of my original choice, and I chalk that up to this forum and the members saving me from an expensive mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.