Betcha can't burn that in a pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sstanis

Oct 20, 2006
Figured that I would add a little humour. We all have, in a pinch, thrown "non-sanctioned" items into our stove. Not saying that I am advocating it, but would is the weirdest thing that you have burned in your stove. Gotta admit that a few weeks ago, threw a couple pair of old-ratty cotton jeans.

The worst I have burned is some flyers with colored ink. If someone fed my stove anything but wood or paper they'd get a swift kick in the arse. :coolgrin:

MSG's got money to burn.

I usually burn my old work boots in the boiler. Fish the steel toe inserts out later.

I tried to burn an old Christmas tree in a wood furnace once, and almost burned down the house. Don't even think about trying that.

I tried to burn a phone book once. Big mistake and mess.

It's true the French eat a lot of bread, but for whatever reason they like to sell their baguettes in 3-foot-long loaves. Between my wife and I, we can usually get through a half loaf in a day before the baguette dries out. I've chucked a couple stale loaves in the wood stove to see what would happen. They burn with a low blue flame for quite some time until it's merely a black, hard-as-rock piece of burnt toast. A couple pokes with the poker and it falls apart.

Ok, I guess you got one up on the pellet stove people, seems your big a$$ fire boxes can burn up anything!

Thats the beauty of a pellet stove, VERY SMALL FIRE, with a bunch of heat. My pellet stove wouldn't be able to burn much other than cig butts. But I can touch the stove anywere but the glass and NOT BURN, and my house is screamin hot all the time! I open the doors to let the -40 in to cool my house off, (free pellets 4 years)!

I think the worst thing I have burnt was a few cars! They don't blow up like in the movies?

CHOW

MountainStoveGuy said:
I burned a roll of copper pennies just to see what would happen... and... they melted.

If they were from after 1982, they were really zinc. It has a lot lower melting point than copper (800 deg. F vs 2000 deg.).

Weirdest thing I've burned in the stove is probably orange peel. Didn't do anything exciting.

DiscoInferno said:
MountainStoveGuy said:
I burned a roll of copper pennies just to see what would happen... and... they melted.

If they were from after 1982, they were really zinc. It has a lot lower melting point than copper (800 deg. F vs 2000 deg.).

Weirdest thing I've burned in the stove is probably orange peel. Didn't do anything exciting.

correct, i think a cent is about 98% zinc. No way would a wood stove melt copper.

Eric Johnson said:
I tried to burn an old Christmas tree in a wood furnace once, and almost burned down the house. Don't even think about trying that.

I've tossed the sweepings from around the tree in, and the odd piece of branch that fell off. That stuff ignites instantly. You better be DARNED sure that a piece is going to fit all the way in, there's no turning back once you start :)

-Hal

MountainStoveGuy said:
DiscoInferno said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

correct, i think a cent is about 98% zinc. No way would a wood stove melt copper.

Actually, depending on what you dip it in, you may be able to get copper to melt. Drop some copper in liquid aluminum, and it'll disolve. I'm no chemist, but I imagine it's similar to how sugar (melting point around 170C ?) will disolve in water (which by definition is much cooler).

-Hal

HalJason said:
Eric Johnson said:

I've tossed the sweepings from around the tree in, and the odd piece of branch that fell off. That stuff ignites instantly. You better be DARNED sure that a piece is going to fit all the way in, there's no turning back once you start :)

-Hal

You nailed it, Hal. It was burning faster than I could shove it in the firebox.

Makes you wonder why we put those things in our living rooms, all covered with potential short circuits.

A bunch of old financial records. Things like statements from 10 years ago.

Same results as the phone book. What a mess. But I did learn that even when the plastic from the envelopes sticks to the glass it's not a problem. Next hot fire burns that crap right off into a little dust pile. Really Hot wood stoves really do destroy early anything.

OK - I know it said wierd... I'll go for gross....

3-4 years ago.... wake up in the middle of the night.... staggering through the living room to get to the stove to reload.... feel something "squish" under my foot... not knowing what it was... hop on 1 foot to the light, and turn aroung and find a dead mouse on the floor.

The old VC became a crematory that night.

Uh, Oh...... CORIE!!!!!!! Did I ever mention that stove could be Haunted????? :vampire:

Harley said:
OK - I know it said wierd... I'll go for gross....

3-4 years ago.... wake up in the middle of the night.... staggering through the living room to get to the stove to reload.... feel something "squish" under my foot... not knowing what it was... hop on 1 foot to the light, and turn aroung and find a dead mouse on the floor.

The old VC became a crematory that night.

Uh, Oh...... CORIE!!!!!!! Did I ever mention that stove could be Haunted????? :vampire:

:ahhh: I think we have a winner....that's going to be hard to beat

MountainStoveGuy said:
DiscoInferno said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

i had a set of "master lock" keys that were apparantly in a bag of lignetics that went through my feed system and set in my burn pot for im not sure how long , less than 24 hours, only ran that bag and shut down and found them when i cleaned the unit, the key heads were somewhat intact but the actual key part that goes in the lock was gone from all but 1 of the keys. i called lignetics office and asked if they had bolt cutters, when asked why i asked that i informed them that they had 4 locks there that no longer had keys. we got a laugh out of it and it did no damage, they did say they would fix anything that was damaged, i told them there was no damage and who i was , they said "oh , ok you would know if there was damage , and left it at that , good folks up there in glenville wv.

When I was a kid, my dad found some vulgare music in my room, NWA, he burnt it!

When I got in trouble in high school, I had on of those raider jackets, he burnt it!

To teach me a lesson!

We burn all sorts of metals in our campfires to see the pretty colors! Have any of ya seen those packages of fire colors? They sell em at canadian tire, throw it in your pellet stove man, very pleasing!

Who doesnt like English muffin/Bagel and egg sandwiches?

What you are looking at is two pieces of pipe I cut at the shop and forged (or for purposes of this thread burned) in our woodstove.
A dip in the cast iron kettle then a rub with some bacon grease and we now have non-stick egg rings :)

Hey, dont blame me when your wife says "hey make me a pair too" ;)
Mine was so pleased when I showed them to her, even made me a sandwich the next morning

Attachments

• Egg rings.jpg
    Egg rings.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 415
babalu87 said:
Who doesnt like English muffin/Bagel and egg sandwiches?

What you are looking at is two pieces of pipe I cut at the shop and forged (or for purposes of this thread burned) in our woodstove.
A dip in the cast iron kettle then a rub with some bacon grease and we now have non-stick egg rings :)

Hey, dont blame me when your wife says "hey make me a pair too" ;)
Mine was so pleased when I showed them to her, even made me a sandwich the next morning

hey!!! thats kool!!!!! what diameter? is that schedule 40 steel pipe???? im gonna have to do that!!!! would be great for camping as well, not much wasted space , great idea babalu!!

3" ID and it was a piece laying around that we store threaded rod in, LOL nobody will miss the 2" I cut off of it.

My boss got a bat in her home one night. She said she stunned it when she struck it, but didn't know what to do with it. The woodstove was right there and she threw it in. I probably would have done the same thing. I don't mind bats till they are in the home.

The wife heard me say we were low on wood and decided to help. When I came home one day there was a cereal box jam packed with 5 or 6 magazines in the stove smoldering. When I tore the stove pipe down to clean it a few weeks later there was so much fly ash in it! Apprearantly she had been burning paper all day. She's not allowed to stay home from work anymore. :)

In a former time in a place far, far away. I had a neighbor who had little respect for those around him. He'd have a party and invite none of the neighbors and would invite the most disrespectful low lives. My answer was to light a smoldering fire and throw in some old scraps of tulip poplar cut from an old cupboard or parts of furniture. I swear when it chard it smelled like a cross between dog urine and burning tires. With the wind in the right direction and a long slow smoking dragon burn the parties were very short. My neighbors were families from the Navy Sub Fleet, and appreciated the peace a little smell brought when they were on leave. I don't think the unfriendly neighbor ever figured it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.