Better n Bens help needed to solve flue dispute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mollitachiquita

Dec 16, 2016
Royersford, PA
First time home buyer grew up with a fireplace my whole life and can't figure out how to work this Better N Bens woodstove. from what i', gathering it would be considered an insert. My husband and I are currently arguing about if the top bar is pushed in is the flu opened or closed. we do not agree.....any help.

We are smoking up the living room either way.

I don't know this stove, but someone who does should answer soon. In the meantime if there is no baffle you may be able to take a flashlight and a mirror and use it to view the flue outlet from the inside of the firebox. Work the control and see which position is open. Usually pulling out the control opens the bypass.

Note however, that the flue bypass setting may only be part of the problem. If the stove is a slammer install and doesn't have a full liner then it could be balky to start, especially if the fireplace is cold and on an outside wall.

I don't know this stove, but someone who does should answer soon. In the meantime if there is no baffle you may be able to take a flashlight and a mirror and use it to view the flue outlet from the inside of the firebox. Work the control and see which position is open. Usually pulling out the control opens the bypass.

Note however, that the flue bypass setting may only be part of the problem. If the stove is a slammer install and doesn't have a full liner then it could be balky to start, especially if the fireplace is cold and on an outside wall.
not sure what a slammer is, but it is on an outside wall and cold. if I leave the door open, we get smoked out.... any other suggestions?

not sure what a slammer is, but it is on an outside wall and cold. if I leave the door open, we get smoked out.... any other suggestions?
Well you should not leave the door open regardless but have you had the setup inspected by a pro? If not you should not be burning anything in it at all you have no idea what condition that chimney is in if it is clean or even if it is blocked or not.

A slammer is a stove that has no connection to the chimney and relies on the surround to seal off smoke from the room. it just dumps the smoke into the fireplace and if the draft is decent the smoke gets pulled up the chimney.

bholler is right, the chimney and installation should be checked for obstructions in the chimney and safety.

Well you should not leave the door open regardless but have you had the setup inspected by a pro? If not you should not be burning anything in it at all you have no idea what condition that chimney is in if it is clean or even if it is blocked or not.
we were hoping to avoid it because the seller reported it had been cleaned not too long ago and we are tight on cash, but you're right we really should get it check out. I put out a few calls to find someone. thanks for telling me what i already knew but was pretending not to. I'll let you know how it turns out. most likely can't afford service until friday

A slammer is a stove that has no connection to the chimney and relies on the surround to seal off smoke from the room. it just dumps the smoke into the fireplace and if the draft is decent the smoke gets pulled up the chimney.

bholler is right, the chimney and installation should be checked for obstructions in the chimney and safety.

that sounds like what this might be. the one in the basement has a pipe connecting it to the wall/chimney and is a freestanding stove different model, but i'm not sure if we're using that one this year. not enough seasoned wood cut up yet, and i'm a little nervous to leave wood burning all night while i'm sleeping...maybe santa will bring us a splitter for Christmas.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
that sounds like what this might be. the one in the basement has a pipe connecting it to the wall/chimney and is a freestanding stove different model, but i'm not sure if we're using that one this year. not enough seasoned wood cut up yet, and i'm a little nervous to leave wood burning all night while i'm sleeping...maybe santa will bring us a splitter for Christmas.

Did Santa bring you the new splitter?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.