Better N' Bens Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxkid1

Oct 13, 2008
Western Connecticut
Hi All,

Question. I have a BnB stove that I got out of my inlaws old house. Never been used and has a Model # of 701. Can someone give me some info on this model ? Ive refurbished ( was left outside and got a bit rusty ) and am about to install it as a firplace insert. Biggest question is do I use a wood rack inside this stove and should I place the firebrick on the bottom of the stove only ? I grew up with coal stoves and am not exactly sure about the propers of a wood insert. From everything Ive read , they seem to be fairly good stoves, some historical background would be great.

thanks,

Drew

Try contacting the folks at Hudson River Stove Works, (518) 828-6363. They may be able to help you. Here's a bit of history from their site:

"It all started in 1973. My grandfather owned a local oil delivery business in Agawam Massachusetts. He said to my father that his customers had a hard time paying for oil that was 16 cents per gallon. My grandfather also predicted that someday oil would hit 25 cents per gallon and people would have a very hard time heating their homes. That year my father, Bob Cohen, started a woodstove distribution company in our family garage. We called it BAC Sales after my mother Barbara Ann Cohen. The first stove brand we sold was Better n Bens' made in Unionville CT. After years of calling on woodstove shops and working long hours my parents grew BAC Sales to employ 55 people and 60,000 ft2 of warehouse space. My whole life I have worked at BAC sales doing everything from punching holes in literature for my father's catalog in the 80's to driving delivery trucks and installing stoves and fireplaces in the late 80's and early 90's. In 1992 I became the owner of Jack's Sidilla Shoppe in Oneonta NY a retail store selling hearth products. From 1992 to 2003 I sold more than 2700 pellet and wood stoves. I have always wanted to make a better stove. "
http://www.hudsonriverstoves.com/home.php#aboutus

Status
Not open for further replies.