Better Shape !!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Buck

Feb 6, 2009
Central Indiana
Got some wood cut today and took it home to try to split it by hand. Just starting out and dont have a hydro. splitter yet. I did figure out that I need to be in better shape. :eek:hh: Got about a truck load cut and about half of it split. I'm lucky though my grandfather had three fence rows cleared out so plenty of wood. The only problem is its all stack up in a huge mangled mess. Think I'll wait until I can round up some buddies to help pull it all apart!

Ya, Its going to take little bit to get back in shape. I grew up helping my dad cut and split. We split by hand until we got a splitter when I was 18.

yep my dad bought a lot of nice toys after i moved out

I was in pretty good shape when I was 18. Then again, that was 42 years ago. These days I gotta be careful. Active, but careful. Rick

Ya I'd give anything to be 18 again ;-) I am only 32 but I am not nearly as active as I used to be. but thats about to change since I will be cutting and gathering wood oh yeah and splitting it too.

Young Buck said:
Ya I'd give anything to be 18 again ;-) I am only 32 but I am not nearly as active as I used to be. but thats about to change since I will be cutting and gathering wood oh yeah and splitting it too.
Ah to be 32 again and know what I know now. A man can wish cant he? %-P

Shipper

It's not the physical labor that gets me tired. It's the fresh air. I sit behind a desk for 9 hours a day and breath stagnant office air.

i too rot in a chair for 12 hrs a day 14 days out of every 35......but i love those days of scrounging and splitting and being physically exhausted by dark.

Bigg_Redd said:
Just swing away at that pile 15-20 minutes a day. It'll but gone before you know it.

Make it 45 to 60 mnutes / day and you'll be in better shape in no time. Especially if you add cutting, hauling, and stacking the wood.

Peace,
- Sequoia

No need to pull apart a tangled mess of trees. Just take the saw and cut rounds off of anything that sticks out and it will untangle itself. Be real careful though climbing the pile or over-reaching with the saw.

When I bought my former home, the builder had just bulldozed the trees into a huge pile in the back. The trees themselves weren't the problem, their root balls were. It took me years to get all the clay off of them so I could cut them up to burn on the brush pile.

Well thats what I did today. The problem is they used and excavator and dug the trees out and a bulldozer to push them into a huge pile. I think I am going to round up a couple of buddies and borrow one of gramps tractors and use some snatch straps and try and unclog the mess ;-)

kenny chaos said:
I'm not too sure why it is. I lift weights every morning, so the physical act of lifting and cutting isn't what gets to me. Maybe I just get over stimulated by the change of scenery.

Actually I meant why "sit behind a desk for 9 hours a day and breath stagnant office air?"

It's more a philosophical question. Never mind.

:-S I see........ I didn't catch that! I can't complain too much about my job. The factory is only a mile from my house and the benefits are good. I so some automotive detailing in the summertime, but I don't see myself doing that year round in Wisconsin!

im in the same boat im 31 and out of shape somewhat so im being reminded after cutting splitting 2 cords of maple in a day that im not 18 anymore
i could easily fall asleep right now lol

Woke up this morning sore and could hardly move, but after anice hot shower my back does'nt feel all that bad. Maybe its because I want to get out there and get the rest of the pile split and stacked, it is going to snow here tonight.

Young Buck said:
Woke up this morning sore and could hardly move, but after anice hot shower my back does'nt feel all that bad. Maybe its because I want to get out there and get the rest of the pile split and stacked, it is going to snow here tonight.
Son, waking up with sore muscles is only the start. Hot showers used to work, then hot tubs, and then sauna's. Now its waiting till the ole body says OK, we can start now. ;-P

Shipper

Ya gots to be ashamed of yourselves!
I'm 52 years old. I got a hip that needs replacing, a 97% disability in my dominant wrist, an almond sized chunk of disc wedged
between my spinal column and backbone, etc., etc., plus, my feet stink.
Wednesday I went and picked up over 2000 lbs. of cast iron radiators and loaded them in my truck.
Brought them home and unloaded them in the shop. All but one got unloaded.
Yesterday and today are 'movie' days. Life is good.
I need a cigarette.

Well I work with a bunch of guys who are in their 50's and they all tell me that I dont know what its like to wake up hurting. One thing is for sure I wont tell them about this ;-P . Anyway gotta go outside and split the rest of that pile while the sun is shining!

Physical pain really isn't anything in the course of things. It's the pain a person feels watching a loved one suffer that can really test ya.

I like your style Young Buck. I like it a lot.
good luck to ya-
ken

kenny chaos said:
Physical pain really isn't anything in the course of things. It's the pain a person feels watching a loved one suffer that can really test ya.

I like your style Young Buck. I like it a lot.
good luck to ya-
ken
Isn't that the truth. I learned that first hand when my daughter was in the ICU at the end of December.

I threw my back out a couple weeks ago. My mother-in-law kept asking me about it, but I didn't want to make it an issue. There sits my FIL with both ankles that are fused, knees that need to be replaced, and wrists that really could use carpltunnel (sp?) surgery. I hope I never have to have pain like he has on a daily basis ever in my life. He doesn't complain and still keeps working through the pain and won't let on as to how bad he really must hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.