Better use for six foot lengths of yellow cedar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beanscoot

Dec 30, 2007
Vancouver Island, Canada
I just picked up a bunch of yellow cedar poles, ranging from about 12 to 20 inches in diameter. I had to cut them to six foot lengths to fit the little pickup. Some I've cut to stove length, but now I wonder if there is a better use for them. They have no decay, but a lot of checking (cracks extending about an inch deep) from decades exposure to the elements.

Or should I just say heck with it and saw and split them?

I get red cedar by me. Wow hot and fast is the bottom line. They also throw sparks like crazy!! Burn it in spring and fall..

Alaskan Yellow Cedar is primo wood. Shame that they had to be cut into 6 ft lengths. If you have many pickup loads, then you might contact a mill to see if there is demand right now. The fishing and boating industry uses a lot. A friend did his whole bath room and entry way with yellow cedar. Very nice wood that mellows into a much darker shade as it ages in sunlight. Or maybe you could learn totem pole carving?

Status
Not open for further replies.