between these 4 pellets for next ton.....experience this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniz

Sep 25, 2013
Marriottsville, MD
Hey all,
I am hunting for my next ton or two for this winter. I have a ton of Summerhill Wood Pellets Co right now and as far as I can tell they are burning great. They cost me $239/ton.

Local to me I can get the following:

Pennwood - $239
Hamer - $265
Turman - $245
AWF Ultra white pine - $279

anyone care to chime in with this years batch info on any the above? I'd like to get 2 more tons by next month.

thanks.

Never burned em, but from everything I've read, I'd be ALL OVER those Turman's for that price! $300-320 in my area. Pretty sure Turman's are as top shelf as top shelf hardwoods get.

Reactions: slvrblkk
^ exactly my thought, 2 or 3 tons of those cant hurt to have stashed in the basement. other shop wants 285 for turmans

Reactions: P38X2
Not this year but turmans are very good. Awf softwood are great. Got 5 tons in basement now. Nothing better on the market that I have burned.

Not this year but turmans are very good. Awf softwood are great. Got 5 tons in basement now. Nothing better on the market that I have burned.

from your experience is the ~$35 per ton increase to the softwoods worth it over the turmans? How do the AWF smell? Wife might like the smell of the softwoods.

also did you notice a difference in ash between the two?

I'm pretty confident that I won't go wrong but mainly just curious about your experience with the softwoods over a very high quality hardwood.

I paid a $20 premium for the awf softies. They have a nice smell. They have less ash and more heat imo. The turmans are very good dont get me wrong. But I preferred the awf softies. I feel top shelf softies are better then top shelf hardwoods in my stove. The softies ash is different it is lighter and less sticky then hardwoods imo. I feel there is less tending to the stove with softies. Hence my purchase.

^ awesome that is exactly what i'm looking for. I just scored 2 tons for $245/ton of the AWF softies. They are not in stock yet so hope i get a call to pick them up before too long.

Smoking deal IMO.

We'd go with the AWF softies; in fact, we did! You're gonna love 'em!

Awesome deal. I paid 289 if I recall correctly.

turman for 245 is a no-brainer. buy all you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.