Beware of www.Pelletsdirect.com they are on the scam! price gouging-fixing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoMoreOPEC

Jun 29, 2008
North Central Ma
Hi All,

In May I pre-ordered 4 Ton of Lignetics pellets from www.Pelletsdirect.com @ 259.00 ton they said they would deliver in July and gladly charged my credit card over the phone. Well July rolled around and www.Pelletsdirect.com did not deliver. I called them every two weeks and they never metioned they could not get pellets from Lignetics but www.Pelletsdirect.com told me they had a problem with there forklift or there truck was getting serviced stringing me along.

Today I recieved a letter from www.Pelletsdirect.com stating they have just been informed that Lignetics could not supply them with pellets. I called the CEO of Lignetics and he stated that in early July he was having production issues to www.Pelletsdirect.com and had informed his distributers of this.

I called another supplier today and can get all the pellets I want for $300.00 Ton. Can any one say price gouging-fixing? There seems to be a shortage in New England for $259 Ton but not for $300? How can www.Pelletsdirect.com run a business this way? Before I rant on to much I would just like to say Buyer Beware of www.Pelletsdirect.com they decieved and lied to me over the phone numerous times. www.Pelletsdirect.com will not return my calls to charge back my credit card either. I guess my next stop is the BBB, Media and MA Attorney General.

Good Day,

Greg

and your credit card company to dispute the charge

It has been over 90 days since they charged my CC ....

-G

NoMoreOPEC said:
There seems to be a shortage in New England for $259 Ton but not for $300?
I can sympathize with your experience with pelletsdirect.com but wanted to note that there's something of a shortage regardless of price here in the northeast. Theoretically, the price should keep going up until the demand/price curve crossed. I think we're at $300 now because that's what they can get, and until someone successfully tests at a higher price (like $325) this is the new "going price" around here. Depending on the price of oil & alternatives, that may go up or down.

Your situation is precisely why most of these suppliers' "guarantees" don't mean squat. They can guarantee delivery but if their only downside is needing to return your money, there's no teeth. You're the one who is harmed. You lost the use of that money since the time you ordered it and now have to pay 40 or 50 bucks more per ton to get what you wanted.

There are rules governing charging your credit card before delivery/shipment of goods. You might want to address that question with your bank when you call to dispute the charge. They may have violated the terms of their merchant agreement by charging you well in advance (and then not apprising you of the delays) and have certainly done so relative to the return of your money.

Too bad it wasn't across state lines so you could get the Feds involved. There's a tangential claim for mail fraud if you get your credit card billing by mail, but it would be clearer if you were from out of state and ordered the pellets.

Good luck

DiggerJim said:
NoMoreOPEC said:
There seems to be a shortage in New England for $259 Ton but not for $300?
I can sympathize with your experience with pelletsdirect.com but wanted to note that there's something of a shortage regardless of price here in the northeast. Theoretically, the price should keep going up until the demand/price curve crossed. I think we're at $300 now because that's what they can get, and until someone successfully tests at a higher price (like $325) this is the new "going price" around here. Depending on the price of oil & alternatives, that may go up or down.

There is NO shortage.

https://www.pelletsales.com/

269.00 Ton for LG's

If a suppler can not get the pellets fine I will take my money somewhere else. But do not lie to your customers!

Enough said...

NoMoreOPEC said:
There is NO shortage.
Tell that to the customers of Home Depot, Lowes, Agway, TSC, Interstate Building Supply, etc. etc. etc. who would like to have pellets but can't get them because the suppliers are not committing to delivery. Many dealers will only sell to existing customers. Others will only sell to stove buyers. Both due to the lack of certainty on delivery of pellets to them from their suppliers. While it is true they are available in some places, they are not always available for any price in those places they have historically been generally available. That meets the definition of a commodity shortage.

The $269/ton for LG pellets you link to actually turns out to be $308/ton delivered to my house in CT. That assumes they have the pellets and can deliver them. Pelletsdirect was (still is) advertising pellet availability. Lots of Internet sites are doing the same. Doesn't mean they're real. (Not implying that they're all scamming, just pointing out that a web page doesn't equal pellet availability.)

DiggerJim said:
NoMoreOPEC said:
There is NO shortage.
Tell that to the customers of Home Depot, Lowes, Agway, TSC, Interstate Building Supply, etc. etc. etc. who would like to have pellets but can't get them because the suppliers are not committing to delivery. Many dealers will only sell to existing customers. Others will only sell to stove buyers. Both due to the lack of certainty on delivery of pellets to them from their suppliers. While it is true they are available in some places, they are not always available for any price in those places they have historically been generally available. That meets the definition of a commodity shortage.

The $269/ton for LG pellets you link to actually turns out to be $308/ton delivered to my house in CT. That assumes they have the pellets and can deliver them. Pelletsdirect was (still is) advertising pellet availability. Lots of Internet sites are doing the same. Doesn't mean they're real. (Not implying that they're all scamming, just pointing out that a web page doesn't equal pellet availability.)

This is simple if you dont have the product dont take my money or return my money. www.pelletsdirect.com has been using my cash for 4 months I want it back.

-G

Check carefully with your credit card company.
CC companies can "charge back" to the vendor at ANY time they want to.....as long as the vendor is still doing business.

If the company is out of business, you are mostly out of luck....although your cc may have some hidden features you are not familiar with (guarantees). Call them soon and ask about all the options.

If they were a sponsor or advertiser here, I would go to bat for you, but I don't know those people or have any contacts there.

Sorry to hear about your run around. On the flip side of the coin, I got 6 tons of Barefoots a couple of weeks ago from them and heard the same issue of broken down trucks, but they offered to send a different truck without a Hyster if I didn't want to wait (I didn't). Did they offer to substitute a different brand and credit you the difference? I pre-paid for the Barefoots about the same time you did at $229 / ton plus a flat $90 delivery fee. Hope you make out ok, hate to see someone taken advantage of due to the local feeding frenzy in the northeast.

NoMoreOPEC said:
DiggerJim said:
NoMoreOPEC said:
There is NO shortage.

This is simple if you dont have the product dont take my money or return my money. www.pelletsdirect.com has been using my cash for 4 months I want it back.

-G
My feeling is, "If you don't have the product I want, WHY would I be stupid enough to give you my money"? Guess I can't see why you blame them for taking what you were willing to give. I don't make a habit of giving away my stuff to strangers, guess that's just me.

Business Ethics
Most people involved in business—whether functioning as a small business owner, employee, or chief executive officer of a multinational company—eventually face ethical or moral dilemmas in the workplace. Such dilemmas are usually complex, for they force the person making the decision to weigh the benefits that various business decisions impart on individuals (including him or herself) and groups with the negative repercussions that those same decisions usually have on other individuals or groups. LaRue Hosmer, a business ethics expert who teaches at the University of Michigan, observed that reaching a "right" or "just" conclusion when faced with moral problems can be a bewildering and vexing proposition. But he contended that businesspeople are likely to reach and act on morally appropriate decisions if they do not lose sight of the fundamental issue of fairness. Those who get sidetracked by issues of profitability and legality in gauging the morality of a business decision, on the other hand, often reach ethically skewed choices. As has been proven time and again in the business world, the legality of a course of action may be utterly irrelevant to its "rightness." In addition, any discussion of business ethics is a subjective one, for everyone brings different concepts of ethical behavior to the table. These moral standards are shaped by all sorts of things, from home environment to religious upbringing to cultural traditions.

In recent years, the issue of business ethics has garnered increased attention. Corporate research and watchdog groups such as the Ethics Resource Center and the Council on Economic Priorities point out that the number of corporations that engage in ethics training and initiate socially responsive programs has increased dramatically over the course of the past two decades, and that courses on business ethics have proliferated in America's business schools during that time as well. But observers have also noted that over that same period of time, the business world saw numerous instances of stock price pumping through corporate downsizing, punitive actions against "whistleblowers," and other practices that point to a still-prevalent emphasis on the bottom line over all other considerations in many industries.

The Internet: making stalking easy since 1994

This is high on my list of WHY I love going on a pellet shopping trip.....buying....loading and coming home WITH my product :) Not a fan at all of the pre buy sentiment....

If you are lucky enough to be in their delivery
area, Pelletsales.com takes your cc but does not take
your money until the goods are delivered. One
of many reasons why I will be a long time customer of theirs.

Posting someones name, addy, and phone number on
a forum is not cool and is very childish. Not only is it not cool, but
it could cause trouble for Craig since he runs this forum.
Grow up, get over it, learn from it, and move on.

zeta said:

The information posted is all public domain with a simple whois search.

All I am doing is exposing www.pelletsdirect.com 's business practices and there has been no personal attacts. I would just like my money thats it.

-G

zeta said:
.....Grow up, get over it, learn from it, and move on.

Easy to say this, Zeta, when you aren't the one who might lose over $1000.

NoMoreOPEC said:
In recent years, the issue of business ethics has garnered increased attention. Corporate research and watchdog groups such as the Ethics Resource Center and the Council on Economic Priorities point out that the number of corporations that engage in ethics training and initiate socially responsive programs has increased dramatically over the course of the past two decades, and that courses on business ethics have proliferated in America's business schools during that time as well. But observers have also noted that over that same period of time, the business world saw numerous instances of stock price pumping through corporate downsizing, punitive actions against "whistleblowers," and other practices that point to a still-prevalent emphasis on the bottom line over all other considerations in many industries.
If you haven't learned what is right and fair before you're in college or the corner office, it's too late.

zeta said:

I agree with Zeta, not cool. That address may just be the web designer for all you know. Call your credit card company and find another supplier. I just purchased 2 tons of Lignetics at TSC for $240 per ton right here in the heart of unaffordable Fairfield County.

Posting public info is fine - it is 100% public and everyone can find it with one click.

I disagree that he won't get help here. So far he has actions he can take with the cc company, and he also can try calling or emailing the domain registrant. Sure, it could be a web designer (a wealthy one), but chances are it is the principal...and if it is not, just say sorry. No biggie.

Also, it helps other here avoid the same problem.

I can say this - I have met two of the top dogs at Pelletsales.com - and they are straight up people. That does not mean they don't have problems and that the prices are cheap......but they are honorable business people who have a staff of 30+ people working for them and a LARGE investment in the company. In other words, you are not gonna hear about the forklift from them.

Take it for what it is worth. Doing business with a one-person firm that may work out of their house is a chancy thing.

MainePellethead said:
This is high on my list of WHY I love going on a pellet shopping trip.....buying....loading and coming home WITH my product :) Not a fan at all of the pre buy sentiment....

My thoughts also. The only pre-buy i was involved in was my last (don't really need, but like to have extra.....just incase)ton i got at TSC. I put half down and had my pellets (Somersets) within a couple weeks....... @$239.50/ton. As a rule, i pay when i can touch my pellets, and can bring them home with me. Waaaaaaay to many scams out there.

NoMoreOPEC said:
This is the right owner they have a store front with plenty of pellets for >$300.00. Ton.

http://www.robbinsgarden.com/index.html

-G

I am not sure that you're correct on that. I bought 4 tons of Hamer's Hot Ones from Robbin's Garden Center for $245 +del / ton in early June and arranged to have them delivered 2 weeks later and they kept that appointment. The whole experience was excellent and I will very likely buy pellets from them next year. I can't imagine why you would have even had to wait until July if you ordered in May...

The only similarity I see between the people that took your money and the Robbin's Garden people is the last name...

I am pretty sure it is 2 different businesses...

zeta said:

Ditto. You are also making some serious assertions that pelletsdirect "is on the scam".

Status
Not open for further replies.