Beware of www.Pelletsdirect.com they are on the scam! price gouging-fixing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just talked with the people @ PelletsDirect and they stated that their behind this month on deliveries but should be caught up next month, November.

Thanks to the suggestions about the BBB. We did receive a credit from Pellets Direct to our credit card.

Wow, I did a search for complaints against pellets direct and can't believe what I have found! I wanted people to know that my husband and I have been and still are having trouble with pellets direct. We purchased a stove and 4 tons of pellets the end of June 08. The stove was installed and pellets delivered in August. Credit card was charged in June for all! Had trouble with returning phone calls from day one. Had issues with getting them to pull a permit. I really could go on but I'd be writing a book. Go to use the stove early October and the stove keeps shutting down due to E1 error code which is vacuum loss. Again, to make along story short. After a long month of phone calls, visits, etc. Kevin has been unable to fix the stove. We have replaced parts, caps....you name it! Bottom line, we are returning it. It doesn't work. Common sense would be to make the customer happy and take the product back. Not them, keeps telling me that England Stove works needs to tell him to remove it. So I call the manufacturer more than once and they say sure he can return it and they don't understand the problem. We don't understand either. Put in a claim with the credit card, we've been refunded but he will not come and take the stove and pellets. Will not return our calls. Keeps telling me he needs to service the stove. How do you service a brand new stove? Very poor customer service. The worst I've ever seen. We filed a complaint with the BBB weeks ago too. Next we are onto Attorney General's office. Buyer BEWARE!!!!!

If I were you I would've gotten only price of stove credited back and sold the 4 tons of pellets. WOuld've been sad w/o the stove but you would've had extra money for oil!!!!

There is a person near me selling 270 tons for 350.00 a ton starting 11/14/08. Where in pratell is he getting 270tons if there is such a shortage??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????.

explain please... HIS E-mail>>> wood pellets will be here for pick up11/14/08 - $350 seeing your a neighbor i can get you a better deal.

I think a few greedy east coast dealers need lynchin'.....and maybe I'm just too country, but who in their right mind would pay those prices per ton anyway...?!? At $350(+)/ton I'd be looking into investing in my own pellet press.
A pellet shortage??....give me a break.....if there was one why am I only paying $174/ton here in the midwest...? Even if it were so, it validates why I bought a stove with more than one burn option.
Truely, I don't mean to make light of ya'lls plight.....just gotta wonder how you got yourselves in that fix in the first place. Please don't tell me that when you had your pellet burner installed you had your other heat sources removed from the house...?!?

UPDATE!

Just got my pallet of Envi-blocks in (Nov 12). Ordered in August, I was told they were in stock and they would be delivered in Sept. - 2 1/2 month wait past due date

treehackers said:
UPDATE!
Just got my pallet of Envi-blocks in (Nov 12). Ordered in August, I was told they were in stock and they would be delivered in Sept. - 2 1/2 month wait past due date
Wow! The dealer in Torrington has had them for months - pallet only though. I was waiting so I can buy a smaller quantity for my brick oven. The ACE hardware store in town has had them out for the past couple of months too. Availability definitely appears to be a local phenomenon.

i believe these companies took in what they thought they could handle and then the mills couldn't produce causing the long waits.... in the meantime the prices shot through the roof..(remember diesel this summer) and now they are starting to meet the demand.... there was another thread very similiar to this ........remember???????? so i don't think its just people out screw customers that have paid ... i think its just a combination of things mainly the economy and the high demand for stoves/ pellets this past year

Folks...prices are all based on supply and demand. businesses aren't "greedy" just because they are making a profit. When they gouge too much compared to alternatives, people will stop buying the product and the price will come down. Simple economics. A business owner should be working hard to maximize profit. There's no monopoly.

I tried buying pellets back in October. None to be had anywhere. Drive 90miles north?...pellets all over the place. Every agway had 'em. BUT...cordwood?...couldn't be found in Elliot Maine. $375/cord for GREEN wood. It's about $275 for seasoned around here.

But it's all based on what the local market will bear. With heating oil prices plunging now, from $3.95/gal down to $2.15, the price of pellets HAS to drop, or dealers will be storing them until next winter, which they don't want to do.

Lob

I have done a lot of research and I am getting ready to buy a big E pellet stove. I have been workign with Rural King. I know they aren't a scam. They have over 40 some stores across the nation. A friend of mine bought a Big E from them, and I am looking at doing the same. You can't beat their prices. They must be making very little margin on these stoves, because you can't find them any cheaper anywhere else. Their revenue commitment to fedex for doing so much business gives them a huge discount on freight. I'll post the link to their breckwell stoves:

https://www.ruralking.com/Store/SearchBrands.aspx?BrandId=2858

I bought my Big E at Ruralking.com for $1399.00 + $125 shipping

I was indecisive for a couple of weeks. If I would have pulled the trigger earlier they had them listed for $999.00. This is what the Big E should be priced at, it really is only a $1200 stove.

The dealers around here jacked up the prices for a Big E to $1999.99 plus tax and delivery - that's $2149.99 for a Big E! NO WAY

Anyway my stove was delived in about 2 weeks - very good service. Not like pelletsdirect.com.

I understand the "supply and demand" argument but I called and specifically asked if what I wanted was in stock when ordering. I was told the Envi-blocks were all they had in stock at the time which was perfect. I placed the order and was told to expect shipment in 3 weeks. 3 months later they arrived after several non returned emails and phone calls - poor customer service not supply and demand

Status
Not open for further replies.