Biasi indoor wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigden

Apr 24, 2008
Northeastern Vermont
I am just starting my research so please excuse my ignorance. I've learned I don't want an outdoor wood boiler. As far as indoor I don't know if I can afford a gasifier. I have had the Biasi 3 wood reccomended to me but some people have told me it will create a lot of creosoot in my chimney. I've used a wood stove and clean my chimney once per month. With this boiler dirty my chimney faster than that? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Boiler Room, Big Den.

As with wood stoves and other woodburning appliances, creosote production depends heavily on how the boiler is set up and operated, and the condition of your fuel. Based on my experience with conventional wood-fired boilers, cleaning your chimney once a month is probably sufficient. I had one that produced a fair amount of creosote (Marathon Logwood) and another one (Royall) that produced none. Keep an eye on your chimney and it shouldn't be a problem.

For the price of that Biasi you could almost get into a gasifier. I think I was quoted around 4K? . The dealer also said it had short burn times . Around 4 to 5 hours if I remember correctly.

Hi Big Den, I've done the research, I first started looking at European products, viessman, kob, orlan eko, and tarm gassifier, There R&D;is quite impressive, so are there emissions laws. It all lend me back to the tarm gassifier and open water storage. Keep reading and I think you will arrive at the same point I was. another clean burner through the threads. sweetheat

Cleanest burn will be if you run it "full blast." I'd recommend installing it with a water storage system, so you can achieve that. Basically, the water tank heats the house, and the boiler is only used to "re-charge" the storage tank, so you don't fire the boiler until you will have a long enough burn to burn all the wood without damping down the air at any point.

The exact price would vary depending on who was selling it, I suppose. You could certainly get into certain gasifiers for not much more money, but that may not be for everyone, due to installation issues (the 3Wood is much smaller than a gasifier) or wood quality (all appliances should get quality wood, but gasifiers are more picky about such things).

It's a very nice boiler, and certainly fits a position in the market.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.