1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Biber classic twisted splitting wedge

Post in 'The Gear' started by buggyspapa, Oct 20, 2012.

1. buggyspapa

buggyspapa Member

Loc:
    Scarborough, Maine
    In two years or a little less, I have mushroomed an Eastwing wedge down to the "spreader" tops. Pieces have begun to zing off and I'm not going to use it at least until I get to a grinder and see if it can be cleaned up.

So, following somebody's links to some higher quality wedges, I ordered a Biber classic from Traditional Woodworker. Wow! what an elegant piece. Not cheap by any means.
    Eastwing wedge2.36.jpg Eastwing wedge1.04.jpg Wedge n sledge.jpg Wedge in box.jpg
    Put it in a few rounds last light despite the rain. A couple of 18" long and round rounds of oak and maple were absolutely no contest, but they are so straight I didn't expect much fight. At most two whacks with the Fiskars. Still, the wedge did them in one. Then I tried a big chunk of nasty box elder that just seemed to swallow the regular wedges even after getting them in over half way with 8 hits. Three whacks and done. (Please withhold the "push the lever" comments, fellers, I don't own a splitter!)

If it lasts as long as it should, I'd guess the wedge is worth the cost. It is not a gimmick.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
  3. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
  4. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

That is one sweet lookin' wedge. I am a "pull the lever" guy but I have wedges and a BFH. Sometimes the round is just too much for me to man-handle to the splitter and unfortunately "just roll them" only works if they really are somewhat "round". 'Cause you know we all split 24" diameter or less perfectly round and arrow straight logs. ;)

If that wedge works as good as you say (and I don't doubt it), then it most likely worth every penny of what you paid. Post some more pics of it once you have a cord or two split.
  5. buggyspapa

buggyspapa Member

Loc:
    Scarborough, Maine
    Yes, this is an expensive wedge, of which I would have remained blissfully unaware without all the other temptation some members are throwing out at the drop of the hat...Thistle, that's enough of the links!
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    JOHN BOY likes this.
  7. JOHN BOY

JOHN BOY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western Mountains ,NC
    Wowzers...! thats alot of cake.:eek:
  8. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    I have a splitter but think I have also discovered a new project(s) for this winters forging. Should be a pretty big challenge - If anyone orders one and gets them on the phone please ask what the steel is? I am guessing 1040 but it would help to start with the correct steel.
    pen likes this.