Big ash is down, picked the first load up tonight!(added pics 3/30)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Tonight I loaded up the trailer pretty good with some of the easier to handle stuff. I have probably another trailer full of small stuff and then the trunk once they get it cut down some. These guys must be pretty good guys, almost all the pieces are 14-18 inches or they left them longer in 4' sections like my uncle asked them for me. Also all the cuts are decently straight which is another shocker for a tree service.

I'm going to have my hands full for a while, here are some pics.

Attachments

• P3220001.jpg
    P3220001.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 926
  • P3220003.jpg
    P3220003.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 942
  • P3220005.jpg
    P3220005.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 934
Nice score, old do you think that tree was.

zap

My uncles house is around 100 years old so I'm figuring it's around there. I told him if he gets bored tomorrow to start counting some rings. :lol:

rdust said:
My uncles house is around 100 years old so I'm figuring it's around there. I told him if he gets bored tomorrow to start counting some rings. :lol:

The stories it could tell, plenty of btu's there.

zap

Splitting that trunk might be fun.
Ya, I'm jealous.

Great! You'll have some very nice wood this fall. Enjoy!!

That is one exceptional score and one helluva load of firewood in that awesome trailer!!

Ray

Looks like it is all solid too . . . some nice wood there.

Depending on how busy that road is and the age of the tree you can probably be glad that they cut it up for you , I bet there is one pile of dirt in that wood . I took a 90 year old maple from in town and was growing before the roads were paved , I can tell you this it is the first time ever I had to sharpen every 2 bucks of the trunk .
Glad to see the tree is solid , it should be a nice pile of wood when you are done.

zzr7ky said:

This wood probably won't see the inside of the stove until the 2012-2013 season.

firefighterjake said:

Yeah so far it's solid, I think at the first mess of branch's from the bottom we might see some rot. The one branch coming out had some signs of carpenter ants, even with that it's still pretty solid.

rdust, although there are plenty of knots, that is some really nice wood. We're happy for you.

SWEEEEEET! Droool...

rdust said:
zzr7ky said:

This wood probably won't see the inside of the stove until the 2012-2013 season.

firefighterjake said:

Yeah so far it's solid, I think at the first mess of branch's from the bottom we might see some rot. The one branch coming out had some signs of carpenter ants, even with that it's still pretty solid.

Don't worry about the ants if there are any . . . your eviction notice will come when your saw starts ripping through their home . . . and then you start splitting up their living room, kitchen and the kid's bedrooms with your ax, Fiskars, maul, hydraulic splitter or Kill Bill Karate Chop . . . they'll get the hint then and move on . . . leaving you their home . . . which you can burn in a few months for heat. ;)

Backwoods Savage said:
rdust, although there are plenty of knots, that is some really nice wood. We're happy for you.

Yeah those knots and crotches are going to fun to deal with.

firefighterjake said:
Don't worry about the ants if there are any .

Nope, now worries. Bugs like moisture, once it's split and starts drying out they will all run away. I split a silver maple last summer that was filled with them. I don't think this tree will be anywhere near as bad.

I cut all the crotches flush with the tree when i get wood nowadays. Makes it much easier to roll it and stack it as well as after it is split. And FYI, most of the wood that i scrounge that has been cut up by tree service folks is cut pretty straight - often straighter than I do it.

Picked up the rest of the loose pieces last night which was probably 3/4 of a load. The trunk is still there and the wood that's stuck under it. The tree service had their big saw break so they're waiting for repairs before then finish the trunk. So far I'd guess I've pulled 2 cords + or - a little.

webie said:
Depending on how busy that road is and the age of the tree you can probably be glad that they cut it up for you , I bet there is one pile of dirt in that wood .

I never thought about this before but after cutting some of the bigger pieces last night I can understand this. The wood was the hardest stuff I ever cut, it gave the 361 a pretty good work out and I was only cutting the branches.(some of them were 20+ inches) I've only cut street tree's one other time and now that I think of it they also cut hard.

I thought the ash I cut down yesterday was hard on my blade. But while I was splitting I found some cow fence grown into the tree. I didnot cut enough with the other saw to be sure though. But yours is a bigger tree than mine. Mine was only about 28 inches two feet up the trunk.

Billy

ok, so now get off your big ash and get that c/s/s like real firewood....

The tree guys came out yesterday and finished cutting the trunk up. The bad, they didn't quarter it out, they just sliced it up.

I loaded up the splitter and went over last night after work. At least most of the pieces are somewhat upright or have a gap under them. Some heavy lifting with a dolly or spud bar we can slide the splitter under them. With my dad and uncles help we split a decent trailer load of them. We have about half of the trunk left to do this weekend. I'm guessing the trunk has around 2 cords of wood in it. I'll make sure to post some pictures of the 4' rounds on the splitter. I will say this is the nastiest wood I've ever split with all the knots! I'm going to end up with a large pile of what I consider unstackables!

rdust said:
The tree guys came out yesterday and finished cutting the trunk up. The bad, they didn't quarter it out, they just sliced it up.

I loaded up the splitter and went over last night after work. At least most of the pieces are somewhat upright or have a gap under them. Some heavy lifting with a dolly or spud bar we can slide the splitter under them. With my dad and uncles help we split a decent trailer load of them. We have about half of the trunk left to do this weekend. I'm guessing the trunk has around 2 cords of wood in it. I'll make sure to post some pictures of the 4' rounds on the splitter. I will say this is the nastiest wood I've ever split with all the knots! I'm going to end up with a large pile of what I consider unstackables!

May not help this season but thats what I am burning right now! anything that will not stack is next in line to burn.

rdust said:
The tree guys came out yesterday and finished cutting the trunk up.

What tree service did you use?
I may need to replace my current guy.

Nice score!

Cheers,Hiram

Congrats on the score!!! Man thats a big ol tree!!!!

rdust said:

Thats why I made this. It will split anything and I doen't have to get out of the cab to nudge them around.
leaddog

Attachments

• mar18-10 001.jpg
    mar18-10 001.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 290
  • mar18-10 004.jpg
    mar18-10 004.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 278
leaddog said:
rdust said:

Thats why I made this. It will split anything and I doen't have to get out of the cab to nudge them around.
leaddog

Awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.