big basement stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How was the install on that rigid? Harder or easier than flex? Does the Oval round back ouT down at the thru wall T

Gotcha. Thanks for everyone's opinion. One person got me thinking . Move my current nc30 to basement . Thinking about a bk princess in living room? Figure if it gets those long low burns I could use it 24/7 on low which it should consume less wood and that could mean less mess too haha. But still have the nc30 running cull bore downstairs. Maybe the low slower burn on the bk could offer a nice comfortable heat when it's 35-40 degrees out rather than the 700-725 degree cruising temp of the 30? Sound stupid?
forgot to mention I heat 24/7 with stove. I really enjoy a stove over furnave/boiler. Love seeing the fire and radiant

Reactions: kennyp2339
If you do BK upstairs on low forget about watching the fire. Mine normally looks like a black hole, but then it runs 24/7 and i generally load twice a day.

The BKs make great basement stoves since they are pretty ugly, long burn times, on a stat, no fireshow, and have excellent fans to make lots of hot air which should travel around the house better than radiant heat. A couple of the newest BKs also look pretty good.

You'll fill the BK stove less often but when you do it takes a lot of wood so each day you'll have similar amounts of mess.

Keep the NC30 upstairs, it really does offer a nice fireshow but I'l bet you could learn how to run it cooler. I burn an NC30 hard and have found it to be very controllable for a non-cat. Easy to keep it humming between 500-600.

its not a bad idea, you want a stove down there thats going to bump out some massive heat, the BK IMHO is a slow and steady heat vs. the massive radiant heat provided by a steel tube burner. With a cat BK upstairs you can run it low and maybe get the 24hr burns they say is possible. If you put it in the basement your going to have to run it up pretty high and reload 2 times a day anyways.

Some tube burners do not put out a massive amount of radiant heat because they are convectively designed. If they have a castiron jacket (Alderleas, Jotul F45-55, Enviro Boston, Quad and Napoleon cast jacketed models,etc.) they can heat quite evenly and steadily, more like a soapstone stove.

Reactions: Huntindog1
I put a King Parlor model in my basement about a year ago and absolutly love it. I had a 6" flu from the previous EPA secondary air stove that could not keep the house warm enough and required loadings every 4-5 hours (yuck!). We decided we would rather run the furnace, or get a bigger stove. I decided to take the chance and install the King on the 6", as I have a 30' straight up internal chimney in the center of my house.

The only issue I have is when I get off of the 48, 24 or 12 hr re-loading schedule and have to throw a few logs in on a hot fire to keep it going while I am away (or asleep). It will let a few whisps of smoke out into the room if I am not quick enough. 95 percent of the time I am re-loading on a bed of nice, friendly coals and do not get any smoke spillage. From what I have read on this site, that is not much different than what I hear from folks that actually have an 8" chimney.

FYI, I loaded it up last night at 8pm and a 71 degree house (upstairs) and woke up at 7:00am to a 70 deg house (upstairs). It was -2 deg outside and blowing. Lots of coals left and CAT still active. House is a 3400 sq foot 5 yr old rambler.

Attachments

• 20141012_192627.jpg
    20141012_192627.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: fox9988
Flying pile, that's really cool looking! Impressive, especially with no blowers.

If your interested in a princess, put that downstairs run it 24/7 keep the 30 where it is and use that for supplementing and fire viewing.

Ya, this time of year the glass stays nice and clean. I do use a blower when it gets down in the single digits and below, otherwise, the basement gets too warm. I installed a blower between the floor joists that sucks air from the floor upstairs on the other side of the house and dumps it out above the stove in the alcove and circulates/rises back up the stairway.

I think a princess would work fine as well, but would just need to be run harder and loaded more often.

I
Ya, this time of year the glass stays nice and clean. I do use a blower when it gets down in the single digits and below, otherwise, the basement gets too warm. I installed a blower between the floor joists that sucks air from the floor upstairs on the other side of the house and dumps it out above the stove in the alcove and circulates/rises back up the stairway.

I think a princess would work fine as well, but would just need to be run harder and loaded more often.

If you can run a king hard enough to keep the glass clean then a princess would be too small.

I was mentioning a princess down stairs for the original poster tjcole. I think flying pile was as well.

Some tube burners do not put out a massive amount of radiant heat because they are convectively designed. If they have a castiron jacket (Alderleas, Jotul F45-55, Enviro Boston, Quad and Napoleon cast jacketed models,etc.) they can heat quite evenly and steadily, more like a soapstone stove.
Ok I don't have a whole lot to compare but I know I can't stand closer then 3' to my in laws stove without my hair starting to singe ;)

Wow supra sing the 6" worked with the king! Is it really that common with people running 8" to have backpuffing? If so it may be worth a shot. Then again if it doesn't work then I have nowhere to put a king because I dobut it would fit where my nc30 is

Status
Not open for further replies.